Pumpkin??

There's no real research on the matter of whether pumpkin eliminates worms. However, you can feed pumpkin -- flesh, seeds, guts to chickens. If you're carving a halloween pumpkin, you have a perfect opportunity to give your girls the seeds. By the way, if you would like a template for a chicken jack-o-lantern, you can download one from our blog. http://bit.ly/2N6ditt
That's a very cool pumpkin!

But, since we are on the subject of pumpkins and chickens, might I ask if anyone actually gives pumpkin to their chickens as a treat? I have too much pumpkin in the garden, but was thinking the seeds are too big for them and the meat too firm.

ETA: chickens in place of chicks.
I like the suggestion about microwaving or putting in oven to soften it. Have not tried pumpkin yet, but want to.

I just cut them in half to get them started and they love them! Same with melons. In a few days, they will eat everything down to the rind, which will look like a piece of paper by then. Our local feed store sells a product called Marvin's wormer, it is in capsules. I give each hen a capsule once a month, as per the instructions, as a prophylactic. Don't know what's in it, probably food grade diatomaceous earth or something like that. I don't put much stock in vets; most of them just deal with dogs and cats and all of them (that I've dealt with anyway) charge too much.

Back
Top Bottom