Pumpking cooked or raw?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Alley, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    I would like to feed my girls pumpkin for a treat but I'm not sure if I should cook it first or give it to them raw?
    Are the seeds okay for them to eat or should I scoop them out?

2. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Raw and seeds are okay for them! We usually cut the top off a few pumpkins and let them go at it.. it's funny seeing chickens walking around with pumpkin all over their faces [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I just buy those pie sized pumpkins, and then I have my husband cut them in half (they're kind of hard to cut), and I just put them out in the chicken run, almost like they're a bowl.

It's just raw, and they can eat all the goo and the seeds if they want. My gals just love that! I'm not sure if the small pie pumpkins taste better than the big jack-o-lantern sized pumpkins, but I use the smaller ones.

They will enjoy that for sure,

Sharon

4. Alley

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    the seeds won't get stuck? I'm worrried they are too large for them to eat?

5. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    No, it won't get stuck they love the seeds [​IMG] I've seen one of my chickens eat a chunk of zucchini sideways that should have never been able to go down to begin with and she was fine

6. Alley

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    I just gave them all of the seeds and half the pumpkin and they went crazy for it! Thank you, for convincing me they won't choke on the seeds! LOL

7. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I bet they're loving that! [​IMG] You're welcome! Now you have another treat you know you can give them, lol

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love holding a pumpkin up over my head and throwing it against the ground to break it open for the chooks. They know what a pumpkin is, and I get quite a crowd gathered around when I carry it out to the Treat Area and drop it on the ground.

Then it's swarm time! They eat it all, except for a very thin bit of the outer shell skin.

9. Alley

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    F.Y.I
    They LOVED the steamed pumpkin!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by