Pumpkins for chickens

If the pumpkins were commercially grown, that may be why.  Quite a few people have commented that their animals won't eat pumpkins grown for fall decoration.  I wonder if they are laced with insecticides or some such thing to make them unpalatable.  When I cook a squash, I usually cook it in the skin.  The birds then get all of the guts, as well as the cooked skin.  Dog and chickens split the cooking water.  Nothing goes to waste.

The fall decoration pumpkins may have lower nutritive value, at least in comparison to pie pumpkins. That can be important when birds already consuming a lot of low nutrient density items.

Just after Halloween I bought a big box full of pumpkins for $1 each (I'm not much of a gardener). I baked them and froze big chunks in Ziploc bags. Now I just throw a chunk in my fermented feed and break it up right before serving.

Thanks for the help everyone!
My chickens won't go anywhere near the pumpkin, they're too scared
lol.png

i guess waiting for them to peck a hole in it is out of the question.

So i'll just bust it in half and they'll hopefully go after it?

I split open some just not quite ripe butternut squash. They ate the seed cavity and left the rest. Maybe it was too hard. I usually have some squash that are just starting to go bad in February. Now I have a use for them.

They have to share the seeds with me. But I'm happy to give them the slimy goo. :)

Back
Top Bottom