Puppy advice

I wean my puppies at 4 to 5 weeks. Those pups are more than ready to be weaned. When they nurse too long, the puppy shots won't be effective as the maternal antibodies fight off the vaccine. They also drag down the mama too much. Give the pups some dry puppy food mixed with hot water and some milk, they'll snarf it up. Cute babies!!
Slinky

Well, I am looking for homes for all these pups - Smileybritches!
big_smile.png

I'm already feeding them puppy food soaked with warm water and they are eating great.

They will all get neutered and the mother spayed on October 26th, so will be ready to go after that.

Maternal antibodies are acquired during the first 48 hours when the puppies are getting colostrum. Forced weaning has no effect on this. All puppies need at least one vaccination after 12 weeks of age to make sure the maternal antibodies have subsided enough so that the puppy can generate its own immune response to the pathogens in the vaccine.

I know a lot of people wean at 4 weeks, but I have never weaned puppies. I let the b.itch take care of this herself. I feel it is best for the puppies to have interaction with the b.itch and nurse as long as possible. Just my opinion on the subject.
big_smile.png

Please keep your litter together until at least 7 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom