Puppy injured a hen and plucked out feathers on her back

Quick update - she’s healing up! Her skin is growing back and I can see feathers starting to grow back too. She definitely loves her social time outside with the flock. Still going to keep her in the makeshift dog crate chicken hospital until she’s 100%
IMG_6641.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6642.jpeg
    IMG_6642.jpeg
    654.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6643.jpeg
    IMG_6643.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
I’m so happy to report that she’s laying an egg a day, and continuing to heal! I’ve been continuing to use the Banixx spray twice a day, and I’ve stopped using honey probably a week ago (I was using that early on before it scabbed over, then periodically if it got red.) I’m curious if she’ll grow new feathers once the wound is healed. If not perhaps I’ll need to get her a chicken sweater for the winter? Lol I’m halfway joking …photo shows the healing progression from top left to right… probabaly still has a few weeks left.

Attachments

• 64A2A851-D4D2-43A9-8E21-6822066601A8.jpeg
    64A2A851-D4D2-43A9-8E21-6822066601A8.jpeg
    1,001 KB · Views: 20
That's wonderful to hear and great job taking care of her. Chickens are surprisingly resilient and can recover from pretty nasty looking injuries, as your hen has shown. I had one hen who was roughed up by a raccoon and later bitten by a dog. She recovered, though not back to 100%, but the wounds healed and she was still able to be a chicken after both attacks.

I’m so happy to report that she’s laying an egg a day, and continuing to heal! I’ve been continuing to use the Banixx spray twice a day, and I’ve stopped using honey probably a week ago (I was using that early on before it scabbed over, then periodically if it got red.) I’m curious if she’ll grow new feathers once the wound is healed. If not perhaps I’ll need to get her a chicken sweater for the winter? Lol I’m halfway joking …photo shows the healing progression from top left to right… probabaly still has a few weeks left.
Looking good!
I'm glad to see she's healing so nicely. Good job taking care of her.

Time will tell how much she will feather back in, you may be surprised.
If she doesn't completely feather in and it's a problem, you can put a saddle on her, especially if she's getting picked at by the other hens.
Usually if that's the case, I put saddles on all the hens so one doesn't stand out so much in the crowd.

Looking good!
I'm glad to see she's healing so nicely. Good job taking care of her.

Time will tell how much she will feather back in, you may be surprised.
If she doesn't completely feather in and it's a problem, you can put a saddle on her, especially if she's getting picked at by the other hens.
Usually if that's the case, I put saddles on all the hens so one doesn't stand out so much in the crowd.
Oh good to know! I’ll look into that if needed.

Oh good to know! I’ll look into that if needed.
I looked into the chicken saddle and bought a couple - her wound is healing nicely and is no longer black so I thought I’d try it today - the white chicken (nurse ratchet 😂 - she picks on all the chickens) followed her around and tries to pick at her but the guard worked and she stopped trying so far. I’m going to keep a close eye on them today, but so far so good! Thank you so much for the suggestion I would’ve never known.

Attachments

• IMG_7015.jpeg
    IMG_7015.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    975.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I looked into the chicken saddle and bought a couple - her wound is healing nicely and is no longer black so I thought I’d try it today - the white chicken (nurse ratchet 😂 - she picks on all the chickens) followed her around and tries to pick at her but the guard worked and she stopped trying so far. I’m going to keep a close eye on them today, but so far so good! Thank you so much for the suggestion I would’ve never known.
She's so stylish! I love the blue color.
LOL Nurse Ratchet is not going to be able to pick through that.
I'm so glad she's healing up, the wound looks good, just check it daily as usual.

Thanks for the update and photos!

Back
Top Bottom