Puppy Pads in Brooder Not Going to Work

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniemig, Feb 8, 2014.

1. jenniemig

jenniemig Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have had my chicks for a few hours now, and the puppy pads are already disgusting and covered in poo. I need another bedding option.
    I know that I can change them, and planned to a few times a day, but it only takes a couple of hours for them to get gross and I don't want them to stand/lay in it while I am gone to work. I was thinking a litter style bedding where the poo will not be right at the surface and need to be changed every couple of days. Or, is there a sand or something similar to kitty litter that would be safe?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have sand in my brooder.

1 person likes this.
  3. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I think that sand is a good idea, just wanted to make sure it was safe for them in case they eat some of it. What type of sand do you use? Can you use a kitty litter scoop to clean it?

4. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

I use wood shavings like the ones sold in pet stores for rodents. I use only non scented shavings. It's the perfect bedding because it absorbs the moisture from the poop and if you have a deep enough layer you can rotate it like compost so the dirty shavings go to the bottom.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I use pine shavings.

If your brooder is that soiled this quickly, I'm thinking you may also have a space issue. How many chicks and how large is the brooder?

1 person likes this.
  6. jenniemig

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have 8 chicks, and they're in a Rubbermaid tote that is 2X4, I hope to be able to use this for a couple of weeks. I have a 18 sq. ft. play yard for them after that. I went to Lowes and got play sand, so we'll see how that works. I have 4 ducklings coming on Tuesday that will be in an identical brooder, also with the sand.

7. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    for the first couple days i use paper towel so they dont mistake shavings for food then after those couple days they are on kiln dried pine shavings and the shavings work great

8. flossyandprissy

flossyandprissy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Utah, but from Georgia
    I put paper towels on top of puppy pad for firstfew days then sand.

9. Wabbit Mama

Wabbit Mama New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    Northern California
    I use wood stove pellets in my brooder. They're big enough that I don't worry about the chicks eating them, and they make for easy clean-up. You can buy the fancy "Pine Fresh" cat litter, or the wood stove pellets for a fraction of the cost.

10. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    I still think the best is burlap bags on the large wood shavings..its easy to shake off or spray with garden hose and dry then reuse...then when you plant your garden you use them for weed control..and they are cheap, just cut them open and they are like 3 feet by 4 feet .jeff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by