puppy pads

embkm

Songster
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
Colbert, Ga
I've been using puppy pads for the bottom of the brooder. It's been great and there really hasn't been any smell (unlike the last time I had 3 wk old chicks in the house with shavings). The chicks range in age between 3 days and 1 week old and now they are starting to scratch.

For those of you using puppy pads, how long do you use them? When, if ever, do you switch to shavings?

If anyone chooses to use puppy pads in the future, they're basically the same as the pads that you can buy in a surgical supply store. Those used for people are much cheaper, about 50 cents each, whereas puppy pads will break your bank!

Suzy

smile.png

It's a great idea that you've used!

I have been using the surgical ones but, I am having a problem with their claws getting stuck. I ended up sprinkling a little pine on top to give them a little traction. Will their claws get a little less prickly and not stick so much? It is a lot easier to clean up then the pine I just roll them up and trash them every other day.

I am new at this and I had these laying around since I had a baby and Viola! Chicken bedding. It seems I am spending a lot of money starting up so I wanted to use something that was laying around.

I used the puppy pads because I had them left over from a puppy I fostered over a year ago. I kept trying to give the things away, but after a year of sitting in my cabinet I finally found a use for them.

It's super easy to clean, just roll up, toss, and put down new pads.
One thing I have noticed though (and I don't know if it's normal) is that poop tends to build up on the chicks feet. When I do my snuggle time/ pasty butt check, I am cleaning dried poo off their feet. Is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom