Puppy sees chickens as toys.

As soon as you see her head in their direction or even look at them for that matter, that's when you need to correct her by giving a quick tug on her leash and saying "leave it" in a low, firm voice then redirect her attention elsewhere before she has the opportunity to make any contact with them. You have to be more interesting than anything else. It may take a while because she is trying to herd them but be persistent and continue with the basic obedience at EVERY opportunity you have.

Are you doing anything to develop dog's interest in something other than chickens? Mine are currently engaged in border wars with coyotes but I am taking them out later to patrol for raccoons and opossums. Those other little activities where you can provide direction can make the chickens seem boring when you come back into yard. Sometimes the perimeter walking alone helps.

What are the particulars of where your dog and birds sleep?

A technique worth considering if you have an old calm natured rooster about is to have him set up close to penned dog. Rooster will provide a baby step towards desensitizing dog to chickens/ You are still going to have the investment of time as dog matures. Mine took a solid two years before they ceased the bowling of flocks which appears to be one of your current problems. Another approach could involve the use of a broody hen that will attack the dog when it looks at her or brood. This would require additional oversight to ensure no one gets hurt. Behavior of chickens used can work for or against your efforts so take that seriously.

Yes, confine them near each other. Periodically take dog out for fun away from rooster then bring him back for some down time. At some point you will be able to have them out together but take dog off for excitement, then bring dog for rest and relaxation around rooster. The latter step will require supervision for some time which will have to be determined by you.

My first go with imprinting effort involved confining very small pup with adult rooster. Imprinting did not work but pup decided other things more fun to mess with than rooster. Rooster was still a companion of sorts that still operates even four years later as dog and rooster know each other well.

All of my boys are still cockerels. My choices are Nilo, a ten month old Australorp who is the dominant male, Jesus, a seven month old Silkie x Game bantam who is second in command, and a little aggressive, and Bluebell, a seven month old Blue Copper Marans who is at the dead bottom. All of my other boys are young.

Back
Top Bottom