Puppy training advice

Hi! I’m a new BYC member but long time reader. We are getting a new puppy. I have never trained a puppy. I have always adopted older dogs. What books, videos or websites do you recommend for basic obedience training? I don’t have my chickens yet (need to build the house first 😊) but I want very well trained dog for when I do!
Welcome to BYC first of all. Second what kind of puppy are you getting and petco's obedience program is great if you don't want to do that they have great books there for obedience

Congrats 😀
I just got a German shepherd puppy about a month ago . for training i have been using the app puppr it is free to download and has everything you need including crate training potty training grooming basic obedience and silly tricks. we got our puppy when she was 6 weeks old and now she is 11 weeks old and already knows 11 tricks the app is easy to use and fun
My tips are
1 .be patient
2. keep training sessions short about 2 to 5 minutes long
3. When they get something right reward like crazy
4 find what works for you all dogs are different what works for someone on YouTube might just make you puppy frustrated.

Enjoy it while you can they grow up so fast 😀😍
Congrats 😀
I just got a German shepherd puppy about a month ago . for training i have been using the app puppr it is free to download and has everything you need including crate training potty training grooming basic obedience and silly tricks. we got our puppy when she was 6 weeks old and now she is 11 weeks old and already knows 11 tricks the app is easy to use and fun
My tips are
1 .be patient
2. keep training sessions short about 2 to 5 minutes long
3. When they get something right reward like crazy
4 find what works for you all dogs are different what works for someone on YouTube might just make you puppy frustrated.

Enjoy it while you can they grow up so fast 😀😍
There really is an app for everything. My daughter will love this! Thank you

I don't understand the use of a clicker when you always have your voice. Dolphins click, dogs do not. Clicker training makes sense fror dolphins, IMO. Facial expressions work on dogs too. Smile, frown, growl, use a happy tone, or a sharp "barking" tone to correct, dogs resond to those things.
I don't think the clicker approach will work for me. I can't even keep up with my phone much less a clicker!

Yes yes yes! We breed and I can tell you, we know our pups very well! When someone says they have a specific lifestyle, I try to steer them towards pups that match that temperament they will need.
Let my start by thanking everyone. Such great advice. This is a wonderful community!

We had to depend on the breeder as we are not nearby. I think this pup will match our needs. He was not the most timid in the bunch which I would have selected but that would not be best for a farm dog that is expected to run off predators. We have a retail business and all of our dogs have come to the store with us once they are trained and can stay calm while customers are there. He thought our pup would be able to do that as well.

Wirehaired pointing griffons were developed by a Dutchman so we thought we would give him a Dutch name. My husband goes to Europe several times a year for work and fell in love with the breed over there. I won't pick the winner until I have spent some time with little guy but the short list thus far is:
Omer (a favorite beer :lol:)
Leo (a friend's name)
Bas (short for Sebastian)
Hans (short for Johannes)
Otto
Any thoughts or suggestions? Here are pictures of the puppy and his parents for inspiration
IMG_4287.JPG
IMG_8782.png

Let my start by thanking everyone. Such great advice. This is a wonderful community!

We had to depend on the breeder as we are not nearby. I think this pup will match our needs. He was not the most timid in the bunch which I would have selected but that would not be best for a farm dog that is expected to run off predators. We have a retail business and all of our dogs have come to the store with us once they are trained and can stay calm while customers are there. He thought our pup would be able to do that as well.

Wirehaired pointing griffons were developed by a Dutchman so we thought we would give him a Dutch name. My husband goes to Europe several times a year for work and fell in love with the breed over there. I won't pick the winner until I have spent some time with little guy but the short list thus far is:
Omer (a favorite beer :lol:)
Leo (a friend's name)
Bas (short for Sebastian)
Hans (short for Johannes)
Otto
Any thoughts or suggestions? Here are pictures of the puppy and his parents for inspiration
View attachment 2224906View attachment 2224907
The parents are gorgeous! :love I like Bas, Hans, or Otto. Think I like Otto best haha

Why not just say "good boy?"
I do that plenty too!! But sometimes it’s nice to have the precision and mark a specific moment or behavior. In that case, good boy or full phrases like that might take too long. I don’t know the exact specifics of it because I’ve never really done “clicker training” per se but people that do it I think like or need the precision and marking an exact moment. So for example maybe you’re shaping a new trick or something they don’t know yet and that nose bump he just did was perfect but the pawing a second ago wasn’t and you need to mark the correct one. Stuff like that. Idk, it gets complicated hahah there’s lots of articles and research on the exact science I think but I haven’t really read them.

I usually do it completely “wrong” though and just say a ton of different stuff at once 😂🤣😂 I’m always like “yes! Good boy! Good! Good job! Yes!” 😂🤣😂

For basic obedience and stuff I don’t think it really matters much or is needed but when you start getting into more advanced behaviors and shaping and stuff, the precision can be nice haha

But even then, I much prefer using my voice over an actual clicker.

Back
Top Bottom