Puppy training advice

Thank you! We are getting a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon in a couple of weeks. Since he is a bird dog, he will need to be well trained in 'Leave It!' when it comes to the chickens. Yes, classes will be important I'm sure. I have worked with my other dogs but they were all around a year old when we got them. I'm going to read The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete just so I don't mess the little guy up before we make it to class. Any other suggestions?
Also, be careful with leave it. Don't get it confused with drop it. Only use 'leave it' when you want him to never touch that thing again, like when you drop food that you don't want him eating. Or chickens. Never use it for toys though. Made that mistake with Teddy. Rosie though is great with it.

Plenty of toys makes such a difference! Both my dogs have never had issues with chewing stuff up. A good assortment of durable toys are good. My dogs have so many toys that we bag them up and switch them around every week, keeping it exciting for them. Also, give him plenty of attention. For my Yorkie Rosie I would just sit and throw the toy for 15mins - an hour straight... About 15 times a day lol

We recently added Benebones to the toybox. Yup they are hard but the dogs love them.
There are 5 dogs here all under 3 years old and all at least 8 months apart in age. Oh my goodness! If I hadn't done all those teething toys we wouldn't have a house left! All these dogs are big dogs.
We did suffer a bit of sofa damage.....but it is the dogs sofa anyway lol. The zipper on a cushion gave out and that foam was apparently fun to shred. They only tore a little bit up because I busted them.

Biggest thing I can offer is that a tired dog is a good dog. Work that brain as well as the body.

We recently added Benebones to the toybox. Yup they are hard but the dogs love them.
There are 5 dogs here all under 3 years old and all at least 8 months apart in age. Oh my goodness! If I hadn't done all those teething toys we wouldn't have a house left! All these dogs are big dogs.
We did suffer a bit of sofa damage.....but it is the dogs sofa anyway lol. The zipper on a cushion gave out and that foam was apparently fun to shred. They only tore a little bit up because I busted them.

Biggest thing I can offer is that a tired dog is a good dog. Work that brain as well as the body.
Yes! This too! Mental stimulation is soooo important, especially with smart, active dogs. Too many people neglect this and end up with an extremely fit, energetic dog that they can’t tire out LOL also teaching and rewarding calm behaviors is wonderful too. Teaching a place or settle or similar command. And an “off switch.” And stuff like that. It helps hugely teaching them early on how to be calm and that not every moment is play or work time lol crate training can help with that too. Just putting them in there sometimes to chill haha

I use the command "Give" for our dog when we want her to return a toy we have thrown etc. I like that because it's a positive word and completely different to "Leave it".

You'll need lots of treats, or if you are using kibble your pup can work for its food.

Just be prepared to try a technique and tweak it for your pup, or try something completely different. I tried some techniques on our dog when she was a pup and they were hopeless for her, but others worked really well.

And we will need pictures. 🥰

I use the command "Give" for our dog when we want her to return a toy we have thrown etc. I like that because it's a positive word and completely different to "Leave it".

You'll need lots of treats, or if you are using kibble your pup can work for its food.

Just be prepared to try a technique and tweak it for your pup, or try something completely different. I tried some techniques on our dog when she was a pup and they were hopeless for her, but others worked really well.

And we will need pictures. 🥰
I too like give and find myself using it more and more lately! Not even really intentionally or anything, just kinda started saying it and I like it better. It’s easier and faster to say than drop it haha though sometimes I’ll also drop the it off drop it and just say “drop” 😂🤣 but best to pick one word and stick with it. I use different things for different dogs.

And yes! Not every method will work with every dog and that’s perfectly fine! And for example with my friend’s two Goldens... one of them will do anything in the world for food and the other will do anything in the world for a ball LOL the one will work for food too but if you really want her to do something, it’s the ball.

My brother’s dogs (rescue mixes), one loves tug and playing but also needs and craves discipline and rules, constantly testing boundaries; one lives to please and make you happy and that’s good enough, very soft dog; and one is EXTREMELY food obsessed lmao

So it can definitely vary a lot.

Thank you all for all your advice! I will look into the videos and take a trip to the library! I’m so excited for this new little fellow! Here’s the only picture I have thus far. Will Post more when he arrives in 10 days (and counting!!!)
AB6D7CE4-5A97-460E-B379-E4D35207F271.jpeg

Yes! This too! Mental stimulation is soooo important, especially with smart, active dogs. Too many people neglect this and end up with an extremely fit, energetic dog that they can’t tire out LOL also teaching and rewarding calm behaviors is wonderful too. Teaching a place or settle or similar command. And an “off switch.” And stuff like that. It helps hugely teaching them early on how to be calm and that not every moment is play or work time lol crate training can help with that too. Just putting them in there sometimes to chill haha

Crate training is hit and miss too. Some dogs just cannot tolerate it at all.
That malamute pup here.....yeah....NO. She sounds like she has been run over...and because there is the VERY SLIGHT chance she has a toe caught a check is a must which unfortunately reinforces that screaming brings the human. 😳

Thank you all for all your advice! I will look into the videos and take a trip to the library! I’m so excited for this new little fellow! Here’s the only picture I have thus far. Will Post more when he arrives in 10 days (and counting!!!)View attachment 2222906

OH MY GOODNESS!!!💓💓💓

Please please please give him sqooshes from me!

Back
Top Bottom