Puppy training advice

Pics
"At ease" can be a good release word too. My boy uses "that's enough" for his dog. Another thought, I never tell people my dogs' names in public. If you do, the first thing people do is start ordering your dog around. "Buddy, come! Buddy, sit! Here, Buddy!" Makes me nuts. It's like handing them the keys to your car. Why should my dog obey a complete stranger? I make up a new name practically every time we go out. I had one lady tell me, "Your dog doesn't like me. Why doesn't your dog like me? ALL dogs like me!" She was quite upset. I told her my dog was trained not to obey strangers, just like children shouldn't. She just kept asking, "Why doesn't your dog LIKE me?" SMH.
Oh those are good ones too!! Though I usually like using “that’s enough” for if I want them to stop doing something :lau and YES!!! To the rest of it!!! Not sure why people feel like they can boss other’s dogs around!?

only after lots of training, would I maybe use a prong,
The prong collar must be fitted properly and the handler must be trained in its correct use ... but having said that, it is, IMO, the most natural and humane piece of training equipment available. Dogs do not choke each other to communicate, they administer a quick, usually harmless bite, and that's what the prong collar does. Also, when used appropriately, it only "bites" when the dog itself pulls or needs a quick, sharp correction. When used correctly the dog hardly knows it is there. If the dog pulls, he quickly self corrects and keeps the line slack. It is a training device, not a controlling collar. It is unfortunate that so few people understand its function or proper application. I especially love it on my Shelties because it does not break the hair coat around the neck like a slip-chain collar would.

Just keep in mind that Petco is in business to sell product. I don't use treats in my training, and they insisted that I must if i wanted to hold classes in their store. So I didn't.
Really? The lady at mine tried with both toys and treats be Rosie preferred treats. I've never taken my dogs anywhere to be trained besides taking Rosie to that one Petco. I guess it's different at each place with a different trainer. One thing I really liked though is that she could get socialization there in a safe environment where the dogs didn't have fleas or ticks or worms or something like they could get at a dog park.

If I were I breeder.. Oh man,you'd have to come with a resume with all your research, a would need to see where the puppy would stay, if they had a good setup prepared, i would probably have little dogs so no kids or future kids, they'd have have experience with dogs and smaller dogs, and I'd have to have updates for the first month or so and at least twice a year. And, the dogs would probably be very very expensive, not that I really care about making a whole lot of money off it (beside to spoil my dogs), but just to be sure they go to a good home, in a good neighborhood, and that the people really care about dogs and would be willing to pay for a good breeder. I would also have a nursery setup made for royalty, and an area for the mom to lounge and still watch the puppies. When I'm older and have my own house, I'll setup a full nursery room for any future puppers.
Lol, nobody would sell me a puppy because we have no fences, but it is doggy heaven here! That's right, no fences .... but we don't need any, we are so far off the beaten path! Three miles from the nearest road, and it's dense forest in between. My puppies stay in a crate in my bedroom at night until they are house-trained, and that remains its bed for life, right beside me. I spay/ neuter all my animals though, so nobody needs to worry about me adding to the population. And are my dogs spoiled? Hummm, i dono, you'd have to ask them. They are at my side all the time. They're ... you know .... my kids! :love:lau🐕

Really? The lady at mine tried with both toys and treats be Rosie preferred treats. I've never taken my dogs anywhere to be trained besides taking Rosie to that one Petco. I guess it's different at each place with a different trainer. One thing I really liked though is that she could get socialization there in a safe environment where the dogs didn't have fleas or ticks or worms or something like they could get at a dog park.
Yeah, this was ten years ago and in another state, so maybe things have changed.

Lol, nobody would sell me a puppy because we have no fences, but it is doggy heaven here! That's right, no fences .... but we don't need any, we are so far off the beaten path! Three miles from the nearest road, and it's dense forest in between. My puppies stay in a crate in my bedroom at night until they are house-trained, and that remains its bed for life, right beside me. I spay/ neuter all my animals though, so nobody needs to worry about me adding to the population. And are my dogs spoiled? Hummm, i dono, you'd have to ask them. They are at my side all the time. They're ... you know .... my kids! :love:lau🐕
That’s ridiculous!!! I know a lot of places prefer if you have a fence but usually they’ll at least consider all other aspects and make exceptions for good owners like yourself. That’s ridiculous. Maybe they thought they’d get eaten by a bear!? 😂🤣:confused:

That’s ridiculous!!! I know a lot of places prefer if you have a fence but usually they’ll at least consider all other aspects and make exceptions for good owners like yourself. That’s ridiculous. Maybe they thought they’d get eaten by a bear!? 😂🤣:confused:
When we went to Alabama there weren't any fences and the dogs would just go off to who ever's house and eat the food set out in the garage. I loved it there. I would go out in the morning and fill up their water bowls, pet them a bunch, and do some training and give them lots of treats lol. They would just stay around that neighborhood though. One of the dogs they hadn't seen for 6 months before I had come lol. There was a Golden named Willy, an old Lab named Bamma, and 2yr old Sable the blue tick hound mix. My dogs so little (4lbs and 10lbs) that they could get picked up by a hawk, or eaten by a coyote or something which is why a prefer a fence for them. At least need a yard though.

When we went to Alabama there weren't any fences and the dogs would just go off to who ever's house and eat the food set out in the garage. I loved it there. I would go out in the morning and fill up their water bowls, pet them a bunch, and do some training and give them lots of treats lol. They would just stay around that neighborhood though. One of the dogs they hadn't seen for 6 months before I had come lol. There was a Golden named Willy, an old Lab named Bamma, and 2yr old Sable the blue tick hound mix. My dogs so little (4lbs and 10lbs) that they could get picked up by a hawk, or eaten by a coyote or something which is why a prefer a fence for them. At least need a yard though.
So cute :love

Griffons are extremely intelligent.

OnI was around didn’t have the best owner, but I was able to show him how to make headway on a dog that was smarter than the owner! Took about fifteen minutes to leash break him, sit, stay, come and lay. To this day, he’s the smartest dog I’ve ever been around.

Year later I went to the guys house. Loki was running the show as normal. I asked if he minded if I work with him real quick. I barked ‘Hey.... Sit!’ He set down and looked puzzled at me. Told him stay..... Recognition must have taken over because that dog turned inside out sitting and staying, knowing full well who it was. Structure to Loki was critical. He thrived on limits and expectations

Long and short, all dogs are different. All dogs will have some method that clicks. Rescued a springer spaniel at a year old. Was chained outside during the day and put in laundry room at night. Worked basic obedience out right away, but couldn’t get her to keep from running from us if we tried calling her to us. The wife finally had enough and started at her with a leash. 3 hours later the dog gave up running from the wife. She clipped the leash on, and started briskly walking the path the dog ran to keep away from her. 3 and a half hours later the dog gave up and was drug one more final lap around the yard on the same route. She took her inside for drink and rest. She never ever balked at ‘here’ again.

I guess my one piece of advice is win. If it takes 6.5 hours to do so, win. Doesn’t take being harsh, physical or mean. Just takes thought. You need to be alpha in your pack. They thrive on structure.

In my previous life in another state, fences were an absolute must for two reasons: traffic and livestock. In the populated areas, dogs would get run over if allowed to run free. And in the unincorporated areas, ranchers would shoot them. So people had fences. So yeah, if I were a breeder, or rescued and fostered dogs, i would require a fenced yard. But out here, practically nobody has fences. And yes. You do see dead dogs on the highway, sadly. People seem to consider dogs fairly disposable. Apparently they just get another dog, and another, until they happen to get one smart enough to stay off the pavement, I guess. Or maybe their dog survives an encounter with an automobile and gets smart. Idk, as @KDOGG331 says. It's sad.

Back
Top Bottom