Purchased a Welsummer-- but I'm thinking it's not actually a Welsummer.

How old? The color (from what I can see in the photo) is off for a Wellie, but I have to say my Wellie hen has may 1 cm spurs at a bit over a year so that doesn't necessarily mean roo.

A full body shot standing with good lighting and the age would be most helpful.

I have no clue the age... I bought her as an adult. She is definately not a roo, she does not crow, not once, and I've had her for a few weeks. She's really raggedy in this photo-- her tail feathers appear to have been ripped out, but are growing back now.

I will try to locate a better photo for you.

She's far right of bowl in this one.

She's the one eating out of the bowl in this one. The one to the left of the photo is the other Welsummer I bought at the same time, from the same lady.

From above, with her adopted babies (she's the only one that has taken interest in them)

Far left of the photo

Between the roo and the babies.

She looks more like a Wellie than I thought then... I am certain she is not a roo... She has adopted our pullets we recently put into the yard, and hasn't crowed a single time since we've had her.

On the contrary, the Delware roo we recently got has't stopped crowing like a maniac!

With the pictures you added, it does look like a Welsummer. That would make it a hen. Hen's and Roo's of that breed look nothing alike.

Edit: You already knew it was a hen. Someone else might not know you can tell it is a hen just by the coloration.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom