Purchasing chicken coop

Fsphillips

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
Hello. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for purchasing a chicken coop. We are going to get 4 chickens, so I would like to find a coop that will work for that. Thank you.

If possible, I would build one. The pre fab ones are flimsy and thin. They also determine way to many birds for the size. At least 4 sq ft per bird, more the better. If you could build you will definitely get more bang for your buck.

A prefab can be ok for shorter term. Just be aware, they overstate the numbers of chickens they will hold. Overall, get the biggest prefab you can and it will likely hold 4 regular size birds (don’t get the really large breeds like Jersey Giants, Brahmas, Cochin). Also, it is not uncommon for people to find that using better latches or adding a predator apron around the outside is helpful with a prefab. A predator apron is wire that lays on the ground 18-24” out from the prefab run and up the sides about 12“ to deter digging predators.

outdoor run area: often it is nice to allow the chickens a bit more space to roam, so some people place the prefab in a dog run enclosure area, or let them out into a larger fenced area for a portion of the day.

where are you located? If you are in a cold/snowy area, youwill need to provide a sheltered area or covered run area so the chx can get out and about during that kind of weather.

Once you have chickens and deal with the climate/challenges inherent to your area and setup, you’ll be better able to determine any changes or upgrades for the future. Many people successfully use prefabs, but understanding their limitations is necessary.

Good luck with your chicken adventure!

A prefab can be ok for shorter term. Just be aware, they overstate the numbers of chickens they will hold. Overall, get the biggest prefab you can and it will likely hold 4 regular size birds (don’t get the really large breeds like Jersey Giants, Brahmas, Cochin). Also, it is not uncommon for people to find that using better latches or adding a predator apron around the outside is helpful with a prefab. A predator apron is wire that lays on the ground 18-24” out from the prefab run and up the sides about 12“ to deter digging predators.

outdoor run area: often it is nice to allow the chickens a bit more space to roam, so some people place the prefab in a dog run enclosure area, or let them out into a larger fenced area for a portion of the day.

where are you located? If you are in a cold/snowy area, youwill need to provide a sheltered area or covered run area so the chx can get out and about during that kind of weather.

Once you have chickens and deal with the climate/challenges inherent to your area and setup, you’ll be better able to determine any changes or upgrades for the future. Many people successfully use prefabs, but understanding their limitations is necessary.

Good luck with your chicken adventure!
Thanks for the info. I am in the Central Valley in California. We get a few days of cold temp and our summers can get a bit warm at times.
My plan was to get a prefab coop and then put up a fence around the coop for the chickens to have room to move around. I thought about burying chicken wire around the fenced in area so animals could not dig under and also put chicken wire over the top to keep another flying predators out. Our plan was to get 4 to 6 chickens, so I want to make sure I have a decent size area for them to roam.

Thanks for the info. I am in the Central Valley in California. We get a few days of cold temp and our summers can get a bit warm at times.
My plan was to get a prefab coop and then put up a fence around the coop for the chickens to have room to move around. I thought about burying chicken wire around the fenced in area so animals could not dig under and also put chicken wire over the top to keep another flying predators out. Our plan was to get 4 to 6 chickens, so I want to make sure I have a decent size area for them to roam.

Thats a good climate - no extremes. However, chickens deal with cold better than heat so shade will be needed - make sure there is always shade they can access and that their water does not get hot in the summer - they won't drink really warm water. Your ideas sound good. Just make sure to use strong latches for the chicken coop itself as putting simply chicken wire over the top is fine, but is not raccoon proof. raccoons can break through chicken wire and are good climbers. they are nocturnal so they will strike when everyone is asleep and the chickens can't defend themselves.

Often it is said to provide a minimum of 10sqft per bird in the run. More is always better if possible. But, adding in visual disruptions can be helpful so that a lower bird can get away from a higher pecking order bird. a visual disruption can be a pallet leaned up against the fence, a roost, a large potted plant (not toxic and protected if edible), etc. No dead ends for a bird to get trapped by a bully bird (so don't lean a pallet up against 2 walls creating a dead end).

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom