Pure Black Orpington?

I have one silver laced Orpington and she is just the sweetest. She is not overly friendly though she is very chill. She will come sit in my lap for a moment to get a couple of scratches and pats and then leave again to go about her business. Doesn’t seem to get involved in chicken politics. The other pullets her age like to snuggle up under her feathers at night and she seems to enjoy this as well.😊

So cute!!

Attachments

• DC94168F-4B68-4599-9584-5E7389D85AE0.jpeg
    DC94168F-4B68-4599-9584-5E7389D85AE0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • F68E70CD-FF82-434A-B5AC-1A7F6403444E.jpeg
    F68E70CD-FF82-434A-B5AC-1A7F6403444E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 7C59ADAF-0C36-496C-864C-757D1612F361.jpeg
    7C59ADAF-0C36-496C-864C-757D1612F361.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 9B3FC069-70B4-43FD-AECE-A9633F57EFD0.jpeg
    9B3FC069-70B4-43FD-AECE-A9633F57EFD0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • E64DF92D-DE68-4163-982A-8DCB6F878248.jpeg
    E64DF92D-DE68-4163-982A-8DCB6F878248.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 5A2204AA-71FC-41BF-A4F0-DC7C361DA955.jpeg
    5A2204AA-71FC-41BF-A4F0-DC7C361DA955.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • AF62A8D4-48AA-4819-A798-20F640CD9D37.jpeg
    AF62A8D4-48AA-4819-A798-20F640CD9D37.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 467FC5A7-D364-40E2-8A88-C77D8C0556DF.jpeg
    467FC5A7-D364-40E2-8A88-C77D8C0556DF.jpeg
    875 KB · Views: 1
  • 3BBC0723-300C-46F8-8695-994832E37493.jpeg
    3BBC0723-300C-46F8-8695-994832E37493.jpeg
    863.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1F6AE763-CECF-4790-BF5B-625CBFBE616A.jpeg
    1F6AE763-CECF-4790-BF5B-625CBFBE616A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 39AC5B24-28EA-4590-ADEB-22291697FDF3.jpeg
    39AC5B24-28EA-4590-ADEB-22291697FDF3.jpeg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 40AC891F-8C01-4818-81A0-D3375FF1B303.jpeg
    40AC891F-8C01-4818-81A0-D3375FF1B303.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 99E2262C-A52A-4699-B6B0-A08FF26804EC.jpeg
    99E2262C-A52A-4699-B6B0-A08FF26804EC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I have one silver laced Orpington and she is just the sweetest. She is not overly friendly though she is very chill. She will come sit in my lap for a moment to get a couple of scratches and pats and then leave again to go about her business. Doesn’t seem to get involved in chicken politics. The other pullets her age like to snuggle up under her feathers at night and she seems to enjoy this as well.😊
Sounds like my group. Snuggle buddies. Flower hens on bottoms with Legbars and Orpingtons standing on top of them all with the bottom crew squished up together in hot weather or not it doesn’t matter we are all sisters and friends by blood or by love. Just the same from whence it came it’s just the same and it does not matter cause it is all the same and my Mama and Meyer Hatchery is all to blame. As long as we are healthy we don’t care it’s all the same and just as fine and all good from whence it came!!!!!!!!

Yep, they will likely be big black babies. We have 7 lavenders and a splash, mostly from Meyer. They're the sweetest birds in our flock, following us around for treats and attention. Our rooster is a big baby as well. He's happily the 2nd man to a cream legbar roo half his size. Enjoy them!
That’s very interesting. My Orps are also seconds to the Legbars in our group who are the middle women after the Flower hens who are the women at the top of the pecking order at the current time. It’s kind of weird. We thought that the food bullies who were the Orps would be the top dogs when they found out what the pecking order was lined out but that’s not what came to be. They actually got tired of that and the Flower Hens started bullying them back about that and now they keep them off the breakfast line until the Flower hens and the Legbars have had first dibs on things for a bit. They don’t do it for long but just a few minutes long enough to get the message across clear enough to let them know they mean business and well enough for them to know that they will back it up if they need to in order to get it across to them. The Flower hens were not near as agressive to us humans when we were raising them as the Orpingtons were either. The Orps were always wanting to peck at us more and be more high strung while the Flower hens liked to see us and come to us for petting and visits. They were the sweetest things. Now the Orps are more docile to us but less easy to connect with for long out of fear but they don’t ever peck or bite. I have one Flower hen that is really mean. Our Legbars are sweet and I wanted to possibly breed them. How far are you from MS? Your location isn’t posted in your profile. Can you private message me this information. I will not share it. I am looking to possibly breed my pullets. Legbars since you have a rooster. I have not heard anyone say that they had a rooster Legbar. I will keep all this private. Anyway...thank you so much for your compliments about my birds. They are very sweet of you to say and I really appreciate them and you taking the time to read my post and look at my pictures. Thank you very much. !

Very interesting. I love the breed choices for your flock. We started with a mixed flock and fell in love with the orpingtons and legbars. Flower hens are at the top of my list to try as well. Beautiful birds.

I've seen the same thing you have concerning temperament. As babies, the legbars are a bit flighty but friendly while the orpingtons just want to eat. As they mature, our orpingtons gradually become really friendly and the legbars get a bit more independent.

I have 3 coops and the pecking orders are interesting. The group just reaching maturity now includes legbars, orpingtons, and black copper marans - including the 2 roosters I mentioned. The legbars, the smallest birds by a significant margin, run the place. The marans assert themselves but are laid back. But the orps, including the big roo, appear oblivious to any pecking order as long as there's ample food. My grown orpingtons in another mixed flock coop are similar. It's like they don't care about no stinking pecking order and they're huge so nobody bothers to mess with them. Our older CL, an olive egger with CL in her, and the 2 wyandottes are at the top in that flock. The orpingtons and barnevelders are... not.

We'll be shuffling birds around this winter with plans to do some breeding in the spring. The lavender orp roo will have 7 lavender ladies. The legbar will be over 4 legbars and 3 marans ladies to make olive eggers. I raised parrots for years but have never bred chickens. So leave it to me to fall for a rare breed and a challenging color of orpington that's not accepted yet. Oh well, you gotta start somewhere.

I'm in West Virginia. Definitely feel free to message me about legbars or whatever. I'm no expert but I've been doing a ton of reading and research the last year or 2. I'll probably start a thread to track progress once we start breeding.

I'm always excited to see other folks who have also fallen in love with cream legbars and want to breed them. Orpingtons too, of course. But the legbars are newer in America and there's a chance to get them recognized. Regardless, both are such amazing breeds and your birds are beautiful.

Very interesting. I love the breed choices for your flock. We started with a mixed flock and fell in love with the orpingtons and legbars. Flower hens are at the top of my list to try as well. Beautiful birds.

I've seen the same thing you have concerning temperament. As babies, the legbars are a bit flighty but friendly while the orpingtons just want to eat. As they mature, our orpingtons gradually become really friendly and the legbars get a bit more independent.

I have 3 coops and the pecking orders are interesting. The group just reaching maturity now includes legbars, orpingtons, and black copper marans - including the 2 roosters I mentioned. The legbars, the smallest birds by a significant margin, run the place. The marans assert themselves but are laid back. But the orps, including the big roo, appear oblivious to any pecking order as long as there's ample food. My grown orpingtons in another mixed flock coop are similar. It's like they don't care about no stinking pecking order and they're huge so nobody bothers to mess with them. Our older CL, an olive egger with CL in her, and the 2 wyandottes are at the top in that flock. The orpingtons and barnevelders are... not.

We'll be shuffling birds around this winter with plans to do some breeding in the spring. The lavender orp roo will have 7 lavender ladies. The legbar will be over 4 legbars and 3 marans ladies to make olive eggers. I raised parrots for years but have never bred chickens. So leave it to me to fall for a rare breed and a challenging color of orpington that's not accepted yet. Oh well, you gotta start somewhere.

I'm in West Virginia. Definitely feel free to message me about legbars or whatever. I'm no expert but I've been doing a ton of reading and research the last year or 2. I'll probably start a thread to track progress once we start breeding.

I'm always excited to see other folks who have also fallen in love with cream legbars and want to breed them. Orpingtons too, of course. But the legbars are newer in America and there's a chance to get them recognized. Regardless, both are such amazing breeds and your birds are beautiful.
Thank you. I have to go to bed now but I promise you that tomorrow I will get back in touch with you about all of this and we can go from there together and discuss our plans about this. I am so thankful to have met you on here tonight or rather this morning! lol! 😊 take care and talk very soon!!!!😎

Yep, they will likely be big black babies. We have 7 lavenders and a splash, mostly from Meyer. They're the sweetest birds in our flock, following us around for treats and attention. Our rooster is a big baby as well. He's happily the 2nd man to a cream legbar roo half his size. Enjoy them!
Aw they sound amazing! I was honestly astounded by their size when I saw the mother hens and roo! 😍

Back
Top Bottom