Pure Cornish game chicken colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by primal woman, Jun 13, 2011.

1. primal woman

primal woman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    I have searched the internet and have been unable to find what colors the pure Cornish can be.

Anyone have any info on this?

I have White Laced Red cornish that hatched. Some that are growing with more solid red colors than I expected. And one chick, the one that was born with no down, is kind of grey headed or blue or something.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Are you talking about Show-able colors?
    As of 2001 the APA ( American Poultry Association ) recognizes -
    In Large Fowl--
    White, Dark and Buff
    In Bantam --
    Black, Blue Laced Red, Buff, Dark, Mottled, Spangled, White and White Laced Red

Chris

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    black, blue laced red, buff, dark, mottled,spangles,white,white laced red

4. primal woman

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    OK, we're getting there. Any web sites that show the colors? I have seen that one from feathrtsite.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Cornish/BRKCornish.html and this link has a jubilee hen and a wlr hen right above it and for the life of me, I see no difference between the two!

Just trying to figure out what I could be getting from these White Laced Red Cornish. I have reddish chicks, typical wlr chicks, a white one, and that one that had no down at first. Maybe those reddish ones are buffs.

I had asked on a previous post about what one would get if crossing a Dark with a WLR, but had no answers. I sure appreciate the help.

Not show colors per se as I don't show. I am raising them for my own use and also don't want to have to artificially breed them like some have to do with show birds. But colors are colors and genes are genes! I don't mind looking at show bird colors to try to learn about the colors of my chickens that don't go to shows! I have never seen a black. Is that black without the brown wing feathers?

Thanks so much.

5. primal woman

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
  6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  7. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:The way I understand it, white laced red are single laced, jubilee are double laced. Some times hard to tell on some females, jubilee males should have a mostly white chest, vs the lacing on a WLR cocks chest. Crossing a dark to a WLR should result in a tweener, as one parent is single laced, the other double. By selective breeding you should be able to go either way with you lacing choices in future generations.

8. primal woman

Oct 11, 2010
    Oregon
    Thank you for all the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by