Pure welsummer leg coloring???

You never know what can crop up from past genetics. I have a welsummer with white ears!
idunno.gif

They are rather pretty with the dark legs. I wonder why none of the others have ever hatched with dark legs before? How many have you hatched from these Tamsflock(just curious, if you haven't hatched too many, I can see why yours all turned out fine and these were just a couple odd ones in the bunch.)

Quote:
Not meaning to be unkind, but it does not do a breed any favours to have incorrect stock sold for breeding, though I know lots of people do.

I wouldnt be untruthful about it.. I would place them on craigslist or local newspaper as laying hen and rooster pair.. Like someone had mentioned before, some folks are only in it for the meat and eggs..

I wouldnt be untruthful about it..

Oh no, I didn't mean to suggest that you would, just it doesn't always occur to people to think about the knock on effects.

If you are intending breeding wellies yourself, it might be a good plan to get a new male, unrelated; it is equally as likely that the males of the hatch are only carrying one Id gene which would give more dark legged females. Not meaning to be rude, but I'd suggest Tamsflock do likewise, if they don't want more dark legged females.​

I have hatched out 36 chicks so far all yellow legs. Plus 6 that are a week old they look to be yellow. I have sold a bunch or traded eggs and this is the only one who has reported back dark legs. I am wondering if it is the new roo that I did bring in that I got from another BYC member. He could be the bad one because I wanted to bring in new blood I added a new roo and was going to take my 2 originals out. I am going to take out the newer roo I was told it was a pure wellie and he does have yellow legs but he is the only new thing that has been added to the pen.

I would imagine that is the problem. I have a welsummer myself that was supposed to be pure and isn't. It was too light when hatched and it has slate colored legs.

In order for the pullets to have slate legs, the roo or hen would have to have white skin and the rooster is carrying a recessive sex linked dermal melanin gene. One of the parents must have white legs or slate legs. When the hens get older, they loose the yellow in the legs and look like they have white legs. Close examination can tell the difference.

Slate shanks usually involve two genes: ( others can effect shank color) skin color alleles for white (W+) or yellow skin (w) and the dermal melanin (id+)and dermal melanin inhibitor (Id) alleles.

W+/ w or W+/W+ and id+/_ in a female produces blue or slate shanks.

Tim

If wanting to breed your wellies & get nice birds it would, probably, be worth getting rid of all of the males from that hatch & buying new from better lines. There are quite a few breeders of quality wellies on BYC.

They should have yellow legs, not white, pink or slate or black!

I would not use the rooster or hens that passes on this trait. It is a no no.

If any of you get white earlobes out of a Welsummer, you got gipped. It is either a Brown Leghorn or a cross of Brown Leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom