Purina flock raiser for chicks - do they need anything else?

shandy

Chirping
Apr 26, 2016
I have always fed my chickens DuMor, but I've got some chicken juggling going on currently and I'm going to feed everyone of all ages Purina Flock Raiser. I'm feeding my 1.5 week old chicks Purina Flock Raiser, but do I need to add anything else for them? Chick grit, etc? I am feeding oyster shells and egg shells on the side to the layers.
Thanks!!

All's good, as far as I can see. I also feed Purina Flock Raiser all the time to all ages, including newly hatched chicks. It's always good to provide chick grit. It can help early on with proper digestion.

If they only eat Flock Raiser, No they don't need Chick Grit.
But you can offer them Chick Grit at 2 weeks of age. Just a little bit, cause they could get carried away with it.
20180507_091125.jpg
I don't offer my chicks anything but chick starter till 8 weeks old.
I do offer them Chick Grit when I put them outside between 2 and 5 weeks when they have access to grass weeds and bugs. GC

Shandy, Flock raiser, or starter is good, and many consider that to be all they need. However, I always see to it that my chicks also have: Poultry Nutri Drench, a plug of sod from an untreated lawn, (plop it upside down: right in the brooder, with grass trimmed fairly short), scrambled egg, and a scoop of grit. (I simply scoop it up out of my driveway. The sod provides incredible benefit: minerals, beneficial bacteria and fungi to boost immunity and digestion, first grit, first greens, practice at scratching up their own grub: seeds, insects, worms, and first dust bath, as well as a multitude of chickie games.

Shandy, Flock raiser, or starter is good, and many consider that to be all they need. However, I always see to it that my chicks also have: Poultry Nutri Drench, a plug of sod from an untreated lawn, (plop it upside down: right in the brooder, with grass trimmed fairly short), scrambled egg, and a scoop of grit. (I simply scoop it up out of my driveway. The sod provides incredible benefit: minerals, beneficial bacteria and fungi to boost immunity and digestion, first grit, first greens, practice at scratching up their own grub: seeds, insects, worms, and first dust bath, as well as a multitude of chickie games.
That is a GREAT idea!!! I was wondering if I could use small sand/rocks from around my house, there's an abundance of it!!! I'll be sure to do that! Thank you lazy gardener

Back
Top Bottom