Purina Game Fish Chow or Game Bird Chow?

CityChicker

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Hey Everyone!

Have any of you ever fed your birds Purina Game Fish Chow? It is a 32% protein feed with fish meal and porcine protein as well. I may try a little as a supplement for some of my ducks since I have the Fish Chow readily available at my feed store. Just curious if anyone has tried it on their birds.

I am also curious about the Game Bird Layena or Flight Conditioner. I cannot find the ingredients anywhere online. Does anyone know if they contain fish meal or some other type of animal protein? My feed store doesn't have it, but can order it in. I just want to get my breeder ducks back on a source of animal protein without ordering fish meal and adding it. TIA.

Game Bird Layena & Flight Conditioner have animal protein products. I use Flight conditioner & am finally going to be able to get Breeder Layena 20%. I wish I could get something other than Purina, but that's my choice for animal protein & 20%. I still ask why Purina only makes 16% layer feed. All I hear on here is to "supplement" protein. I am tired of bringing the protein % up. I am tired of everyone around here only selling Purina. JMHO.

Okay, awesome! Thank you so much. I am waiting to hear back from the feed store and will order the Game Bird Layena. When I was considering the Fish Chow, I was just going to use it more as a top dressing to get the protein up a bit and more importantly to get them some animal protein. My options here are pretty limited as well. I have exhausted just about every resource I can think of to get something with fish meal (or something similar) in it. Right now, I have my ducks on Flock Raiser crumbles (neither of my feed stores have the pellets), chicken Layena (because neither have the Game Bird Layena), and a small amount of Calf Manna. I can't find Duck Chow anywhere (which has fish meal in it) here locally anymore. A couple of the other feed stores I used to use don't carry Purina anymore and don't have an option with animal protein either.

The one feed store that has the larger selection and a live person to talk to (the other store I go to is a big-box type store, as big as a Wal-Mart and they don't do ordering onsite), doesn't want to do special orders nor honor Purina coupons (which I don't even care about at this point). When I have asked if they will special order, you would have thought I was asking for a kidney, LOL. What a headache! The birds are doing better than okay on the current mix I have them on, but still never look or do as well as when they have a source of animal protein. Thanks again for your help!

Yeah, my birds like the Calf Manna too. It has a lot of good stuff in it, but nothing from an animal source. I remember reading on another thread that you give yours the canned fish. I may try that some day. We have started during the breeding season (with our ducks) feeding them twice a day and making up a dish of fresh food each time, rather than free choice, so I think I will try the fish. I know Holderreads also feed milk, but I have never done that.

I give my hens canned fishy cat food a couple of times a week. Plus, I get meat scraps and bones from the slaughter house for the dogs and I give the hens some of that every day mixed with suet and BOSS in the winter. They go crazy for it!

Back
Top Bottom