Purina start and grow questions - hatchlings - help

Okay, thanks everyone. I'll quit stressing that I didn't get good enough food for my new ducklings.

Now I just need to find a source for a grower feed. I just found out that Purina is no longer producing it's grower duck chow. Is the flock raiser the replacement?

When we figure out how many if any ducks we have how does one feed the drakes and ducks differently? Ours are going to be together all the time.

kwack

My ducks and geese did great on Purina Flock Raiser. I think that higher protein level will give faster growth, but unless you are commercially raising for meat, I don't think it is an issue.

I know high protein gets blamed for angel wing, but I think it is too many carbohydrates. Think about it. Angel wing is most common in ducks who get fed bread, pretzels and other junk at parks.

In the wild, ducklings during that rapid growth stage would be eating insect larva, snails, worms, minnows, small frogs and frog eggs and aquatic plants. They would be eating tons of protein and lots of greens. NOT corn, wheat or other cereals grains.

For you that can get it Southern States Waterfowl Pellets is great after starter feed. It comes out of a mill in Richman VA and not all Southern States stores carry it depending upon the warehouse that supplies the local store. You might ask at your local SS or Agway stores (some of which were bought out by SS but still allowed to use the Agway name) I suspect more stores can get it if they are willing to make the special request.
It is formulated for waterfowl not chicken feed. It floats! I can fill the feeders with this stuff and nobody gets excited, but throw a cupfull on a pool or puddle and watch the feeding frenzy! the motion on the top of the water just excites ducks no end.~gd

Quote:
Really? Maybe just not available in your area? Because I just bought some here only a couple of weeks ago...and yes, it is fresh.

Quote:
Really? Maybe just not available in your area? Because I just bought some here only a couple of weeks ago...and yes, it is fresh.

This is a year old thread. All Purina plants don't make all their products, and not all products are available everywhere.

Quote:

This is a year old thread. All Purina plants don't make all their products, and not all products are available everywhere.

Yep, I know, I just saw that the poster mentioned it was no longer made, and thought I would come back with my findings, since it is available here...except for the Breeder formula; that one, we cannot get here in Illinois.

Back
Top Bottom