Purina start and grow questions - hatchlings - help

kwack

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Delaware County
Awaiting the hatch (pekin, Cayuga, WH) and all I could get my hands on was Purina start and grow- unmedicated. As the protein content is lower than desired for ducks what should I augment with?

I did a few searches and chased butterflies and I am still confused.

Do they need grit?
Brewer's yeast for niacin? How much?

Thanks

Last edited:
I actually met with a Purina rep yesterday at our new feedstore in the area. I have 3 runner ducks, 4 weeks old, and she said they could be on Purina flockraiser. I think the protein is pretty high, around 20%. I have had the girls on Mazuri waterfowl starter, since they were hatched, but it is expensive, and she told me flockraiser is perfect for ducks, due to the protein, and the added niacin ( which ducklings need extra). They have a website
www.poultrynutrition.com. check it out.

Good luck, Kycklingmamma

ducklings tend to over eat, and with the medicated feed they can eat to much and get over dosed. That is why you shouldn't feed them medicated feed.

Quote:
I've raised my call ducklings on medicated Purina Start & Grow for years with good results. As long as the only medication in the feed is amprolium it's fine to feed them. Ducklings get cocci just like chicks do so they also need that protection from the amprolium while they build up an immunity to the cocci.

Quote:
I've raised my call ducklings on medicated Purina Start & Grow for years with good results. As long as the only medication in the feed is amprolium it's fine to feed them. Ducklings get cocci just like chicks do so they also need that protection from the amprolium while they build up an immunity to the cocci.

Great Answer! Most waterfowl grow faster then chickens. Some of the older medications were more toxic to waterfowl than to chickens so that is where that Old Duck's Tale started, it used to be true and it can still be true where medications other than amprolium are used. ~gd

Okay hre is the info I have on the subject and will be going by. Of course, it will be non-medicated as everything I am reading and being told that the medicated is bad for them so...

Ducklings need starter feed with 20-22% protein for 3 weeks.

Adolescents do best on 16% protein.

Adult ducks need 16-18% when they are laying and 14-16% if they aren't laying.

Too much protein can cause a condition called "Angel Wing" where the feathers on the wings protrude upwards. Too little can cause nutritional deficiencies and serious health problems.

Last edited:
Quote:
Since you have made up your mind there is no reason to discuss the subjects is there? They are your birds and you get to live by any mistakes you make. ~gd

I think your ducks will do just fine on the Start and Grow.

I start my ducklings on an 18% protein feed for the first month (Start and Grow, or whatever starter brand the feed store happens to have) and then switch them to a 15-16% grower feed after about 4 weeks.

They've all done great on that feed plan, and since the percentages are also ones Holderread recommends, I'm not too worried they're not getting what they need.

I've never given them grit or supplemental niacin, and have never had any health issues because of it, but that might be because I get mine out on grass fairly quickly and they have the opportunity to graze for what they need as well.

Quote:
Not everything you have read says it's not ok to feed them medicated feed. I've been trying to get rid of that idea for a long time on here. It's one of those things that was true years ago when they put other medications in the feed. Now that Amprolium is what they use it's not an issue. Ducklings will die just as quickly as chicks from cocci. I've raised a lot of call ducklings on it and I wouldn't do it any other way. One of these days someone on here is going to lose all their ducklings to cocci and regret listening to the continuing "old wives tale" that medicated feed is bad for them....then maybe they'll believe me.

Back
Top Bottom