Sudden onset niacin deficiency in 3 drakes

Sadly Ping is no better. After 4 weeks of Durvet High Level Vitamin B Complex by pipette directly into his gullet everyday, he still cannot walk. I have stopped giving him the Durvet now, he is just getting brewer's yeast on his crumbles. He has recovered his appetite and is eating well. I was given Cosequin for him. Initially, when Pingy wasn't eating well, I had difficulty getting it into him but when his appetite returned, I sprinkled a teaspoon on his crumbles and he was eating enough to give him diarrhea, but with no improvement in his ability to walk. I have stopped that now because of the diarrhea.

So PingyWingy gets water therapy three times a day and moves his legs normally in the water. I got an inflatable plastic day bed for him which has pockets in the front wall for his water and food. He lies in that facing the screen of my rear porch and his best friend O Pato comes and lies outside next to him.
20230709_104021.jpg

20230709_104928.jpg

He spends some time each day outside on the grass--inside a dog pen as the other ducks are mean to him, even Pato bites him. But Pato spends a lot of time at his side outside the pen, and always comes when Pingy calls him.
20230718_101707.jpg

Pingy does have quite extensive wet feather underneath his belly. He always had wet feather under his tail round his vent as he was unable to preen himself there with his damaged bill. Now he cannot stand up and preen his belly, the wet feather has increased. I dry him with a towel after his water therapy. The last two evenings, my husband has given Pingy a belly rub in front of a fan to completely dry and fluff his feathers.
20230718_195047.jpg

Pingy seemed to enjoy that and went to bed in his tote each night a calm, relaxed duck.

So Pingy has got his appetite back and seems happy, but I dont think he is ever going to walk again. He is a crested pekin, and I now wonder whether that has anything to do with this.

Attachments

• 20230718_195047.jpg
    20230718_195047.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230718_195047.jpg
    20230718_195047.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom