Purina

And should I be worried that I'm only getting like 3 eggs from 10 chickens and 4ish duck eggs from 8 ducks (3 being Khaki campbells)?

hello everyone I just saw this thread and wanted to get some advice as well. I have been using just 16% Dumor pellets and just did my research and found that some foods are just using fillers and wanted to see if I should switch? I just bought 18% nutrena feather fixers because supposedly Nutrena is pretty good and I also bought cracked corn, and a Calcium booster bag. Is this a pretty good diet?
thanks and good luck reading this
Omit the corn (only as a treat, no more than 10% of daily intake). By calcium booster, do you mean oyster shell? (usually not needed with layer formulations). Nutrena (as a whole) is a good feed.

I mean I switched feed and went from no eggs to 15-17 a day but I have 35 chickens. With your size and output I would consider feeding whatever you have. The loss of cost on bag of feed is more than eggs cost at store compared to what you are getting to offset it. Silly to leave it sit. IF there is a layer issue it’s not harming the chickens to my knowledge in anyway so if it were me I would finish off that bag and move on to something else. I strongly recommend kalmabach if you can get it. That is my backup for when local mill is out now.
Thank you for that information. I'm in Tennessee so I will Google, kalmaBach and see if I can find it. Take care.. PS whoever thought our chickens would be so valuable. I got friends coming out of the woodwork to get my eggs but unfortunately I eat two a day so they're gone..

Omit the corn (only as a treat, no more than 10% of daily intake). By calcium booster, do you mean oyster shell? (usually not needed with layer formulations). Nutrena (as a whole) is a good feed.
yeah ive been giving them little bits (not more then a couple pints) so should i get anything besides layer feed or is that good enough?

Plus it's usually chock full of molasses, not something chickens need to be eating, and nowhere near enough calcium for laying hens.
and if that wasn't bad enough, its got way too much fiber, and what little protein it does have has the wrong amino acid profile. Chances are very high that its grossly lacking in the needed minerals and vitamins as well.

Perhaps we should thank the first ever post on BYCer @BauerPower for conclusively demonstrating that its probably NOT the feed in their case.

additionally, Nutrena's "Feather Fixer" is a higher protein (18%) "Layer" Formulation. It already contains adequate calcium (3.5%+/-) for most production layers, and too much for everything not actively producing like a production layer.

Back
Top Bottom