Purple Comb on Broody Hen

bootherooster

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
Hello everyone! I have a small 1 year old bantam chicken that recently went broody. However, I noticed that her comb and wattles are purple. I checked for mites and she's clear. She's also breathing well and acting like her normal self. I think she may be dehydrated but everytime I offer her water she only drinks very little. Should I break her broodiness? Her eggs are fertilized.

She probably is dehydrated. Offer water with electrolytes, watery chicken feed, watery scrambled egg, watermelon, etc. What is your general location? How cold is it? Pictures could be helpful. It is great to have a broody, but I don’t not like to have one hatch eggs in the winter. Spring is better for the little ones to hatch and get strong, then go out and forage with their broody mom. In my experience bantams go broody often, and I would hold off letting her until early spring. Collect your eggs daily, and when you are ready for her to brood some, put the start date on them, put them all under her at the same time. That way they will all hatch at the same time over a day or two hopefully.

Thank you for replying! It is late for a picture but I have chosen to break up her broodiness. It usually gets 40 degrees fahrenheit where I live. However, my chicken's coop is very insulated which raises the temperature to 50ish degrees. I'll let her hatch out babies next spring 🌼

Thank you for replying! It is late for a picture but I have chosen to break up her broodiness. It usually gets 40 degrees fahrenheit where I live. However, my chicken's coop is very insulated which raises the temperature to 50ish degrees. I'll let her hatch out babies next spring 🌼
40 degrees fahrenheit at night^

Back
Top Bottom