Cockerels Combe is turning purple/black

Lucylu228

Chirping
Apr 4, 2022
Hi everyone please could I have some help. My frizzle cockerels Combe is changing from a red to purple/black he isn’t acting strange just normal he’s not wet or cold. No wounds or anything drinking and eating perfectly. Not the best photos any advice would be appreciated
IMG_9734.jpeg

His comb colour is alarming, indeed.

Check him and the coop thoroughly for lice and mites. You can use double-sided adhesive tape on the underside of the roosts so any mites that come out of the crevices at night to feed on him will get stuck to the tape.

When did you last deworm him and what did you use?

His comb colour is alarming, indeed.

Check him and the coop thoroughly for lice and mites. You can use double-sided adhesive tape on the underside of the roosts so any mites that come out of the crevices at night to feed on him will get stuck to the tape.

When did you last deworm him and what did you use?
Thank you he was demited and deliced not to long ago but will check again thank you

Could he be dehydrated? I would be concerned about heart or lung problems if that is not his normal comb color.
I don’t think so but could be possible I have seen him drink but will give him some more water options thank you

Thank you he was demited and deliced not to long ago but will check again thank you
So there were mites present which explains his condition.

In this case he should get some fresh minced beef or liver in addition to his normal feed to help restore the lost red blood cells. Some scrambled eggs with rolled fine osts and millet will help also.

Ao poultry vitamin additive for the drinking water should be added as well.

Did you also treat the coop accordingly?

There were mites about a month or two back but he was healthy before he has only gone like this about 7 days ago roughly. I will feed him all above as well, I will try anything he is such a gem. Yes the coop was treated for 10 days and chickens were moved to a clean environment to be treated as well. Thanks

There were mites about a month or two back but he was healthy before he has only gone like this about 7 days ago roughly. I will feed him all above as well, I will try anything he is such a gem. Yes the coop was treated for 10 days and chickens were moved to a clean environment to be treated as well. Thanks
You might want to check the coop and the little guy again very carefully as mites tend to be back within a few days to weeks and can suck the life out of a bird within a few days.

Back
Top Bottom