Purple comb

I'm not sure then. Purple comb can mean poor blood circulation, lack of oxygen, a respiratory infection, I think it can even mean worms or egg bound but these last two I am not sure about.
What do you do about blood circulation? She isn’t egg bound and hasn’t been laying as she is molting right now. I didn’t notice any worms in fecal droppings. I have seen people use human grade DE and I do have some of that but I’ve never wormed before so how should I go about doing that?

I'm not sure then. Purple comb can mean poor blood circulation, lack of oxygen, a respiratory infection, I think it can even mean worms or egg bound but these last two I am not sure about.
On other thread about purple comb someone recommended rubbing VetRX on their beak, comb, and nose every so often to improve circulation. Is this a good idea. I think I have some old VetRX but I could easily get a new one.

On other thread about purple comb someone recommended rubbing VetRX on their beak, comb, and nose every so often to improve circulation. Is this a good idea. I think I have some old VetRX but I could easily get a new one.
I don't have experience with VetRX. I don't have experience with lack of blood flow, the only purple comb I have experience with is the lack of oxygen, this is caused by organ issues.

Here’s a pic of her 2 days after I got her, about a month ago. Her comb is very red slightly larger(maybe). She has been molting and hadn’t started at the time of that pic and that can affect comb size and coloring I believe but I think it normally just gets pale not purple. I saw someone talk about stress/excitement causes it in a different thread but I don’t think that is likely the cause as that was more for birds that combs changed color only for a short period of time. Also would’ve had to been delayed reaction to stress as she already was put into a new envionment and then a few weeks later her comb started changing.
CE7BDD8C-C22C-4486-8314-72D3EDD037DA.jpeg

I don't have experience with VetRX. I don't have experience with lack of blood flow, the only purple comb I have experience with is the lack of oxygen, this is caused by organ issues.
Oh, lack of oxygen is quite bad then. I hope it’s not that🤞. I saw some talk about molting could cause it, could this be case? This may be her first molt as she is a little over a year old. I haven’t had young birds in a while but I don’t think they molt the same year they feather-out, is this so?

Molting does cause the combs to get paler and smaller. My chicks that I get or hatch in March don't have a molt in the fall/winter until the next fall/winter.
Stress can happen at any time.
When a predator gets too close to the coop (bear, cougar, bobcat, fisher, etc.) my flock gets stressed and they won't lay eggs for a couple weeks.
I do a 2-3 week see but no touch integration to lessen the stress so I haven't seen the comb turn purple because of stress.

Oh, lack of oxygen is quite bad then. I hope it’s not that🤞. I saw some talk about molting could cause it, could this be case? This may be her first molt as she is a little over a year old. I haven’t had young birds in a while but I don’t think they molt the same year they feather-out, is this so?
She is a small Serma if that makes a difference, I am not sure where she is on the letter grade sizing that Sermas have though.

Molting does cause the combs to get paler and smaller. My chicks that I get or hatch in March don't have a molt in the fall/winter until the next fall/winter.
Stress can happen at any time.
When a predator gets too close to the coop (bear, cougar, bobcat, fisher, etc.) my flock gets stressed and they won't lay eggs for a couple weeks.
I do a 2-3 week see but no touch integration to lessen the stress so I haven't seen the comb turn purple because of stress.
Okay. What do you think I should do then? She doesn’t seem to be struggling or suffering whatsoever. She still flys up and sits on the side of the run as there is small wood pieces reinforcing the wire there.

Back
Top Bottom