Purple comb

My gut is still leaning towards a possible bruise. Is there anything she could've bumped into when she flies up to the side of the run?
Maybe, she could’ve bumped into the wood or ramp up to the box. It is on the back side of her comb though, so I don’t know exactly how she could get a bruise like that. What do you do about bruises? I haven’t had a comb bruise or any type of chicken bruise before. Thanks so much for your help!

Maybe, she could’ve bumped into the wood or ramp up to the box. It is on the back side of her comb though, so I don’t know exactly how she could get a bruise like that. What do you do about bruises? I haven’t had a comb bruise or any type of chicken bruise before. Thanks so much for your help!
If it is a bruise, and it was my chicken, I would try vetericyn to see if it helped. I always have it on hand for all my animals. It helps heal wounds faster and it helps with dog hot spots. Otherwise, I don’t know how to help a bruise, I would assume you have to let it heal. At least with trying vetericyn, I would narrow down if it was a worse problem.

If it is a bruise, and it was my chicken, I would try vetericyn to see if it helped. I always have it on hand for all my animals. It helps heal wounds faster and it helps with dog hot spots. Otherwise, I don’t know how to help a bruise, I would assume you have to let it heal. At least with trying vetericyn, I would narrow down if it was a worse problem.
Ugh, I just ran out of my vetericyn!! I do still have MicrocynAH which I believe is similar, do you have any experience with this? Would the vetericyn make the bruise better? I haven’t ever treated a bruise with it. I am brooding some babies right now and have been making some electrolyte water for them(save-a-chick brand) could/should I give some to her along side regular water?

A few more pictures would be good. It's hard to tell much of anything in the poor lighting.

Some of the birds around here have that kind of purple-tinged discoloration (almost always on the rear of their comb, like yours). Most often with the larger-combed Roosters, but I have seen it in pullets, and laying hens. As far as the cause, I can't tell you, but it seems it can sometimes be due to hormones, laying, high temperatures, dehydration, disease, lack of oxygen to the tips, etc.

If the hen is acting fine, I would not be too concerned about it being related to heart problems. The degree in which the comb would be turning purple would be much more emphasized and the bird would likely be lethargic to a point.

My input. If the hen is acting fine, eating and drinking well, just monitor her.

Ugh, I just ran out of my vetericyn!! I do still have MicrocynAH which I believe is similar, do you have any experience with this? Would the vetericyn make the bruise better? I haven’t ever treated a bruise with it. I am brooding some babies right now and have been making some electrolyte water for them(save-a-chick brand) could/should I give some to her along side regular water?
You could try the MicrocynAH to see if it helps. It looks like it does the same thing: helps with burns, cuts, hot spots, irritated spots. I don’t know if it would help but maybe it would soothe it, I think that’s all you can do with a bruise.
I use electrolytes on hot days or stressful moments. It won’t ever hurt to use it for a little while.

Some of the birds around here have that kind of purple-tinged discoloration. Most often with the larger-combed Roosters, but I have seen it in pullets, and laying hens. As far as the cause, I can't tell you, but it seems it can sometimes be due to hormones, laying, high temperatures, dehydration, lack of oxygen to the tips, etc.

If the hen is acting fine, I would not be too concerned about it being related to heart problems. The degree in which the comb would be turning purple would be much more emphasized and the bird would likely be lethargic to a point.

My input. If the hen is acting fine, eating and drinking well, just monitor her.
Thanks for the response! I will monitor her. Do you think she could use the addition of electrolyte water alongside her regular water? I heard about people using VetRX to help with respiratory health, would this be useful? What about vetericyn or MicrocynAH? Thanks!

You could try the MicrocynAH to see if it helps. It looks like it does the same thing: helps with burns, cuts, hot spots, irritated spots. I don’t know if it would help but maybe it would soothe it, I think that’s all you can do with a bruise.
I use electrolytes on hot days or stressful moments. It won’t ever hurt to use it for a little while.
Okay! I will give her some electrolytes along side her regular water tomorrow, if it could possibly be a hydration issues I think that would help. I am not sure about how helpful MicrocynAH would be now researching it some more right now as I’ve only used it for open wounds, sores, or blisters. I don’t think it could harm her though, I will report back if I end up using it!

Thanks for the response! I will monitor her. Do you think she could use the addition of electrolyte water alongside her regular water? I heard about people using VetRX to help with respiratory health, would this be useful? What about vetericyn or MicrocynAH? Thanks!

We are all different in how we go about treating, or taking care of things, but I would leave it. If you do searches on Google, you can find similar cases such as these ones,
1603421215783.png
1603421331265.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/discolored-comb-on-serama-rooster.1307957/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fred-gets-mad-and-turns-purple.802627/

As, I mentioned previously, I see it quite frequently within my flock, and as long as the birds are acting normal, and discoloration doesn't worsen, I tend to leave them alone.

We are all different in how we go about treating, or taking care of things, but I would leave it. If you do searches on Google, you can find similar cases such as these ones,
View attachment 2383742View attachment 2383743
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/discolored-comb-on-serama-rooster.1307957/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fred-gets-mad-and-turns-purple.802627/

As, I mentioned previously, I see it quite frequently within my flock, and as long as the birds are acting normal, and discoloration doesn't worsen, I tend to leave them alone.
Okay, I guess I won’t use the MicrocynAH. I will report back if it gets any better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom