Purple Heart plant and chickens

odchooks

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
I have Purple Heart plant all over the yard and our chickens will be coming soon. Anyone know if it is ok for them to eat. It is similar to wandering Jew which I’ve heard is safe and loved by chickens..but want to make sure. It grows invasively all over the yard and would be amazing if I could feed it to them or at the very least not worry about it.

Attachments

• 714417B0-89B2-4C20-895A-AAA89CE8AAF2.jpeg
    714417B0-89B2-4C20-895A-AAA89CE8AAF2.jpeg
    680.1 KB · Views: 81
I have Purple Heart plant all over the yard and our chickens will be coming soon. Anyone know if it is ok for them to eat. It is similar to wandering Jew which I’ve heard is safe and loved by chickens..but want to make sure. It grows invasively all over the yard and would be amazing if I could feed it to them or at the very least not worry about it.
I have some of this as an inside plant. My chickens never bothered it, when it's out in the spring - fall. I wanted to plant some outside. But dont think it will handle our ohio winters

I have some of this as an inside plant. My chickens never bothered it, when it's out in the spring - fall. I wanted to plant some outside. But dont think it will handle our ohio winters
No it will only tolerate a light freeze. Here in Texas it becomes a nuisance- impossible to get rid of once established.

Back
Top Bottom