Purple specks on egg?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I gathered eggs from my big black hen. I don't know her breed, and I'm sure she's a mutt. For the past week (she just started laying again, since she stopped for the COLD weather, I guess the 70degree weather got her started again. ANYWAY

She lays the traditional brown large egg. BUT she has lavender specks on them! I've washed the egg and everything and they are still there. I took a closer look at the other eggs and its on all of them. The eggs are nice, normal shape. They have oyster shell and layer pellets. She has access to crab grass, grass, and some dandelions if that makes a difference. None of the other eggs have it.

About the hen, incase it's a breed thing. She big, size of a BO and has black feathers. She has a greenish sheen in the sun. Also, she has a chest like a sex link, the redish, brown feathers, but they cover her entire chest, not just right by the neck. She has a big comb (don't know the name of the comb, but it's the "traditional" comb, not a rose comb but the one with 3 "spikes".

I agree with Katrinag. Not a problem. Just a little mix up in the paint dept. or she's just prone to laying them.
Two of my brahma hens lay eggs with the pretty lavender spots.
Why not post a pic of your hen? She sounds beautiful and I'll bet we could give you some guess on her breed(s).

My puppy thought my camera tasted good, so when I save up some money, I'll try to get one (trying to save up for a car first) I will post a link to this forum when I get a picture of her.

Now I want a chicken that lays cool eggs.
sad.png

I wasn't planning on keeping her, but mom said she was "special" I may have to add her to my sig. line. I had 2 layers I was planning to rehome. My 3 chickies are friendly, I've had them from eggs, but these 2 are grr. They guard their eggs and will beat the crumbs out of you legs if you get close. Wing clipping is essential to keep them from flying out of the coop when I crack open the door!

my australorps lay eggs frequently with the purplish specks/spots. I assume they're just little blood specks & nothing to be concerned with. The hens are fine, plump & healthy, and seem to be quite happy. I think I may FINALLY have one that is actually going to be broody. This of course is the day after I bought an incubator... figures.
big_smile.png

About half of my BR's lay speckled eggs. The speckles range from lavender to red to dark purple. I kinda like think it's cool especially next to the EE's green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom