1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Purple specks on egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zahboo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I gathered eggs from my big black hen. I don't know her breed, and I'm sure she's a mutt. For the past week (she just started laying again, since she stopped for the COLD weather, I guess the 70degree weather got her started again. ANYWAY

She lays the traditional brown large egg. BUT she has lavender specks on them! I've washed the egg and everything and they are still there. I took a closer look at the other eggs and its on all of them. The eggs are nice, normal shape. They have oyster shell and layer pellets. She has access to crab grass, grass, and some dandelions if that makes a difference. None of the other eggs have it.

About the hen, incase it's a breed thing. She big, size of a BO and has black feathers. She has a greenish sheen in the sun. Also, she has a chest like a sex link, the redish, brown feathers, but they cover her entire chest, not just right by the neck. She has a big comb (don't know the name of the comb, but it's the "traditional" comb, not a rose comb but the one with 3 "spikes".

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

How cool. I do not think there is anything wrong. She may of just wanted to add a new color in the spray booth. LOL.

1 person likes this.
  3. hottexaschick

hottexaschick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    Collin County, Texas
    I have 13 red star hens all from the same order. One lays eggs that sound just like yours. I personally don't think it's anything to worry about.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Katrinag. Not a problem. Just a little mix up in the paint dept. or she's just prone to laying them.
    Two of my brahma hens lay eggs with the pretty lavender spots.
    Why not post a pic of your hen? She sounds beautiful and I'll bet we could give you some guess on her breed(s).

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    My puppy thought my camera tasted good, so when I save up some money, I'll try to get one (trying to save up for a car first) I will post a link to this forum when I get a picture of her.

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Now I want a chicken that lays cool eggs. [​IMG]

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I wasn't planning on keeping her, but mom said she was "special" I may have to add her to my sig. line. I had 2 layers I was planning to rehome. My 3 chickies are friendly, I've had them from eggs, but these 2 are grr. They guard their eggs and will beat the crumbs out of you legs if you get close. Wing clipping is essential to keep them from flying out of the coop when I crack open the door!

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

my australorps lay eggs frequently with the purplish specks/spots. I assume they're just little blood specks & nothing to be concerned with. The hens are fine, plump & healthy, and seem to be quite happy. I think I may FINALLY have one that is actually going to be broody. This of course is the day after I bought an incubator... figures. [​IMG]

9. beerguzzler

beerguzzler Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    Houston TX
    About half of my BR's lay speckled eggs. The speckles range from lavender to red to dark purple. I kinda like think it's cool especially next to the EE's green eggs.

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My BSL does that from time to time.

She's our favorite. What a great bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by