Purple swollen wattles and ear lobe in 2 year old hen (no cold temps)

Cnabercrombie

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2018
I have a 2 year old Rhode Island Red hen that has had purple/gray swollen wattles and left ear lobe for the past couple of days (discoloration is throughout the wattle, and under the beak - accompanied by heat. Flash from camera doesn't show true color
20180307_184835.jpg
20180307_184900-1.jpg
20180307_184922.jpg
). We live in South Carolina, so no really cold temps (although we did have frost one day last week). Adequate shelter from wind and moisture, free range during daylight hours. No other hen (14 total) is exhibiting these symptoms (no roosters on our farm). No respiratory distress, no wheezing, no nasal discharge, eyes are clear, poop is normal, normal appetite. No visible injuries/bites/stings - no visible parasites. ACV in water (just a small maintenance amount) - no other treatment. The only thing I can conclude by reading through 5+ year old threads, is that maybe it's a sinus infection? Treatment recommendations appreciated (huge plus if medications can be given orally and picked up at the local chain feed supply store). I do have a call into the local vet in the meantime.

Could she have gotten bit or stung by something? Can you look inside the ear hole for any gunk? And in her mouth too. I would give Tylan 50. You can give 1ml into her mouth twice a day for 5 days. You can get Tylan 50 at Tractor Supply in the cattle section. You can give a higher dose if you feel comfortable doing that. Discard her eggs for 5 days after last treatment.

Could she have gotten bit or stung by something? Can you look inside the ear hole for any gunk? And in her mouth too. I would give Tylan 50. You can give 1ml into her mouth twice a day for 5 days. You can get Tylan 50 at Tractor Supply in the cattle section. You can give a higher dose if you feel comfortable doing that. Discard her eggs for 5 days after last treatment.

They free range over 14 acres, so she could have been bitten by a number of things, but I didn't see any bite marks. I'm going to check her over better in the morning when I have an extra set of hands. I'll also look in her ear (what should I look for, and will it change treatment if I find something?)

They free range over 14 acres, so she could have been bitten by a number of things, but I didn't see any bite marks. I'm going to check her over better in the morning when I have an extra set of hands. I'll also look in her ear (what should I look for, and will it change treatment if I find something?)
Check in her mouth too. I'm not sure it would change the treatment, unless you find a tick or something.

Just left Tractor Supply and they won't get another shipment of Tylan 50 in until midweek next week (7 days). None of our other local feed and seeds carry it or anything similar. Is there anything I can use in the meantime? Extra ACV? Any homeopathic treatments? Or just let her body fight it naturally until I can get ahold of antibiotics?

Just left Tractor Supply and they won't get another shipment of Tylan 50 in until midweek next week (7 days). None of our other local feed and seeds carry it or anything similar. Is there anything I can use in the meantime? Extra ACV? Any homeopathic treatments? Or just let her body fight it naturally until I can get ahold of antibiotics?
Can you order it online?

Back
Top Bottom