Purring chicken?

Quote:
What happened to her other leg? Margarita was the dominant hen in one of my flocks and my brothers german shepherd attacked her. She lost a great amount of feathers on her back and neck and has these huge bite marks on her back. She's healing well though.

One of my girls make a purring noise when she (grooms?) herself. It's her neck area, whenever she (grooms?) that part she makes a purring or humming like noise. I think it means she's happy or it feels good.

I agree with the content thought. Mine purr at night when settled in. They purr when sun bathing and they purr after TREATS. Some more than others but always for pleasure.

That is very cool. I noticed today when I was in there they were all talking about something. I'll have to listen for the purr. We have one that barks. It is the funniest sound. Arf!

Quote:
Arf? Thats beastly
woot.gif

I'm trying to figure out the same ... seems like my chickens have a couple of different types of purrs or trills. High trill sometimes means "Hey, look out -- what's that?" (based on the fact that they stand very still with their heads cocked) -- right now, I've got four chickens sitting in a planter just hanging out, and they're making a deeper sort of purring trill. Contentment?

Just popped in here to see about the purring also and found this post. I just heard it for the first time. My girls snuck up on me today and I heard this very noticeable purring. At first I thought I was hearing a growl so I looked behind me and there was my two Austrolorp (actually I think the one is a JG) just walking towards me and doing this loud purring noise. Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom