Pus coming out of my cat?

Dec 14, 2019
I have a goat and chicken farm with 50+ goats and a few LGDs and 1 barn cat, Wolfie.
One day he came home for feed time with a large scrape down the side of his face. I put some iodine and antibacterial ointment on it and that was it. Now it’s 2 days later and my adult Great Pyr picks the cat up normally and ‘mothers’ him. This time she picked him up and brought him to me, whining. There is greenish white cream colored discharge coming out of the scrape. It doesn’t seem like it bothers him. Is this an infection? Not to sure because I have very little experience with cats.
BE030BCF-13DA-4AA5-BEB5-6FF3C4554C3B.jpeg
C764EABE-7222-467F-B206-984328567C3F.jpeg
EA88652A-8FBE-4711-B63D-FE14DF9F8584.jpeg

After you flush and clean the wound, check for foreign bodies in it. I have to remove cat claws from mine frequently as he asks strange cats to kindly leave his territory. @casportpony has great advice there too. I would also reapply the triple antibiotic ointment after treating. Plan on this being a daily task until you are satisfied with the results. Occasionally, the pus might form a plug so if you are still feeling a soft warm mass under there that is when you need to open it up and repeat the flush. Also, for my cats that like to fight and scratch me I roll em up in an old towel so I can play doctor without personal injury, roll em like a taco.

Last edited:
The vet should be an option here! He needs a Rabies vaccine booster, at least, because you don't know who caused this wound. He is vaccinated, right?
If you are doing wound care, WEAR GLOVES! Some infections are nasty and can be spread into scrapes or wounds on your hands. If you are in plague country, definitely the vet...
Mary

The vet should be an option here! He needs a Rabies vaccine booster, at least, because you don't know who caused this wound. He is vaccinated, right?
If you are doing wound care, WEAR GLOVES! Some infections are nasty and can be spread into scrapes or wounds on your hands. If you are in plague country, definitely the vet...
Mary
Yes he is vaccinated, vets not an option because we live to far out and it’s a treatable wound. We just found out what caused it, it was the neighbor’s cat.🤦‍♀️ They asked us if our cat was hurt because theirs has a little scratch on it’s ear.

I had a Siamese/Persian once and was petting her on the head. All of a sudden pus started coming out of the top of her head. She had an abcess and it broke when I stroked her fur. I cleaned it with a wet paper towel, then put peroxide on it. It healed great! Of course you can always take her to the vet but if she's eating and drinking and otherwise seems okay then.. You can dip a paper napkin into peroxide then try to get it onto the cut or you can pour some into the cap and pour a little into the cut make sure you keep it clean. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom