pushy church lady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before we start slamming the well meaning person who lacked any of the appropriate social skills who called we need to ask how she got the number and why she called.

How'd she get the number?

-Was it given to her by the husband?
-Did she get it from the church and how because churches don't just hand out phone numbers?

Why did she call?

-I don't know how many times I've heard at church one person confide in another that their spouse was not a believer and that they were praying that maybe one day it would happen. While the op and hubby agree to disagree when it comes to beliefs that doesn't mean the hubby doesn't wish deep down that they did.

-Did the hubby in conversation say his wife was at home, give the impression that he wished she were there and the caller took it upon themselves to extent an invitation that completely lacked social skills.

Don't get me wrong because I'm not saying that she should have called at all. This just sounds like there's a lot more to the story than some well meaning dingleberry. Someone gave her that number or she retrieved it herself. If it were someone in the church office they need to be spoken to about ethics and if it were the husband than there's alot more going on than even the op knows.

Quote:
If the husband attended, he might have given his number to them. And if the church is anything like my moms, they print out a directory and hand out to all the members. Mom's lists your name, address and phone number.

Lifetouch photography has a whole business of taking photos for church directories, so it is not uncommon. (a friend of mine is a top sales person in the church photo business)

Yes, every church I have ever been a member of has had a church directory given to all members. They are usually provided annually. Assuming that the call was to the house, not a cell phone (unless shared by both husband and wife, which would be unusual), I would expect the number came from the church directory.

Yes, it could have been poor social skills, and there may have been some perceptions by the OP that the caller did not intend to convey, but she certainly came off in a poor light.

Quote:
Totally agree. I tried making that point earlier but you seem to be MUCH better with words than I am
smile.png

Quote:
I love these types of answers! Spend some time to come up with your own snappy answer that tickes your funny bone and doll it out with a smile. (Miserable folks hate those that smile - particularly those that suffer through church and find others are doing something more interesting.)

Quote:
I so would have went right after I got done mucking stalls. Where is the evil grin when you need it.

My mother did that to me once years ago. There was some summer event going on at her church. She called and pretty much demanded that I stop what I was doing to make two desserts and bring them to the church since two of the older women who had said they would bake something never showed up. I love to bake and in the past I have made things for the church, but boy do I hate being told what to do and when to do it. I had been out riding and smelled ripe of sweat and horse. So I went to the grocery store bought something from the bakery and took it to the church. My mom was ticked that one I didn't make it and two I had the gall to show up all stinky and gross. I told her to never demand something of me again or the consequeces would be worse.

Quote:
See now here is where you quip, "What, God doesn't love hard working folk that tend to the precious animals - the only beings present at the birth of Christ?"

You will have to take that one up with God he is the one that said it, I can furnish you the verse if you like.
Quote:
That doesn't sound very Christian of you to assume that just because people don't "believe" that they aren't a son/daughter of God. Can they not believe just because they don't attend? Very judgemental if I do say so myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom