Pushy Hens Versus Total Wimps

fanke19

Hatching
May 12, 2015
South East Wisconsin
So, I have these six hens. The black one was new at Easter. We added the three white ones a couple months ago. They were given to me by an egg farmer who said they no longer produced enough; I believe she said they were approximately 18 months old. Then about three to four weeks ago I picked up the two brown hens, which are supposed to be the same approximate age as my "Blackie".

Blackie has taken it upon herself to chase the brown hens away from the food and water from time to time. And just recently I witnessed one or two of the older white hens chasing Blackie away during dinner time.

At bedtime, they all roost fairly close to each other, so I know the bullying isn't getting too out of hand, but I'm just not sure whether I should be stepping in to do something to discourage the pushy behavior, or if I should just allow them to continue with their behaviors.

Part of me thinks that they will all get to be loving sisters by the end of the winter when they will be cooped up ( literally ) for a few months.

Any advice?

It's just the pecking order. It does not look as if any are the worse for wear. If you are concerned that some are not getting enough to eat or drink, provide multiple feeding and water stations. They all look fine to me.

Back
Top Bottom