puss-filled water blister on comb?

pipthepeep

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
My rooster has been having a problem with frostbite on the tips of his comb for the last few months. After this last cold spell, he developed a fingernail-sized blister on the back of his comb. At first it looked like a water blister. I applied 3x antibiotic ointment and massaged it in well, and moved him to a warmer area for the night...but the next morning, the blister was bigger and filled with BRIGHT YELLOW puss! It looks so swollen and painful....and feels harder than a water blister would (I guess maybe because it is so filled with puss, which is thick?)

I know this isn't the greatest picture, but hopefully you can at least see what I am talking about...
65860_pippys_blister.jpeg

I know that this is related to the frostbite, but is there something I should do for it? Maybe betadine or spray with blue-kote? Or should I just let it do its thing? I know blisters are like nature's band-aid or whatever, but the puss really has me concerned....Any suggestions?
Thanks!

My roos had the same problem this winter. I have used a lot of Bag Balm on them and it seems to help. I never break the blisters - unless by accident when I am applying ointment. They will heal, just make sure they don't get an infection.

I recommend treating topically rather than adding antibiotics to his water. Lance and squeeze the pus out, flush with betadine then put neosporin on it. Do this daily til there's no more pus...then just use the neosporin after that.

I would also drain the puss out, and apply a topical ointment that has an antibiotic in it. You could use a needle, just make sure it's clean, and drain that out for him. He will probably feel much better when you do that!

so the consensus is lance and drain? eek that's what I was afraid of! its so nasty looking, i hate to find out exactly what is inside, but hopefully my stomach will hold up....should i use betadine or anything to dry it out...or just the neosporin? thanks for the advice:)

Back
Top Bottom