Put Down My Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MissChessy, Mar 2, 2008.

1. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] Well, yesterday I had my son to put down my 1st hen. I tried my best to help her feel better. I believe she was laying her eggs internally. She has always laid strange eggs. They would be covered with white clabbered stuff and egg whites all over the place. Her eggs were always very rough and just different. I did examine her before putting her down. I checked her vent and when I tried to feel if she had an egg stuck inside her, I couldn't feel anything, but a whole lot of clear egg white came out. She was just miserable. I'm so sad I lost my 1st hen. She was 9 months old. A beautiful Gold Sex Link. She was a very carroty orange color with splashes of white. I'll surely miss her.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I know how you are feeling, so sorry...it's never easy having to put one down...just a part of owning chickens sometimes that has to be done....

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'm sorry for your loss.

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'm so sorry Miss Chessy.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you really cared about her and wanted her to have a comfortable life. I'm glad there are people like you out there who know when to say when and humanely put and end to their pets suffering. Sometimes that takes more courage than dragging them along trying to make them better. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm sorry for your loss. :aww

8. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    sorry for your loss :aww

9. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I'm sorry, Miss Chessy. It just breaks our hearts when we have to make these decisions. [​IMG]

10. dutchman

dutchman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    Lebanon TN
    I'm so very sorry to hear that. They are so easy to get attached to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by