Put eggs in bator last night, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ruditchka, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    After a failed first attempt, I rebuilt my homemade wooden box still-air incubator by installing a 12v computer fan powered by an 18v power source from an old cable tv "black-box" unit(all parts free from things out of the garage I hadn't tossed out yet!). The power differential seems to work just fine.... Though this time, after having bad temp fluctuations due to room temp changes in my last attempt, I put bator in the basement, which is much colder but steadier in temp. I had to insulate outside of box quite a bit to raise temps and am using a 75watt bulb on a dimmer switch for adjustments, although I am now holding a steady 100 degrees with the switch set all the way up. Eggs are in a turner w/broken motor but only takes a few seconds to open the bator and turn manually. Last time I laid eggs on screen and it took a minute or two to do so. After 2 badly shaken and broken shipments of eggs from an e-bayer(which I notified about for poor packaging on the first try), they sent me a free shipment of 15 eggs wrapped individually in bubble wrap and again in newspaper(well-protected this time). All eggs arrived perfect! I also got 15 from a local farm for re-assurance! Lots of different breeds but it will be a surprise as to what they are! I can't wait. They are due to hatch on May 9th, which is 6 days before my 8 yr old daughters B-day. Perfect. Its a Saturday, so I'll pick her up Friday and she'll stay w/me that weekend(amicably divorced!). Anyone else on the same schedule here? I expect to have a great hatch and am at this point very optimistic. Last time the eggs got too hot and didn't even start growing, so I don't feel bad that I killed the chicks. Anyway, Happy Hatching to All!!!!

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Not till next week will I set more eggs,I have some due in 2 weeks and some that are late hatching but still alive...

3. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Well, I'll be putting a set of eggs in the bator in about 2 hours, so we'll be close to the same hatching date. I've got 2 black rosecomb eggs, 12 white silkie eggs, 12 asorted bantam eggs (mystery eggs), and 1 mile fleur egg from the hen we bought today.
    What are yours?

4. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I am on day 6, but hopefully will be placing more next week.

I have been on here all morning looking up homemade incubators. My hat is off to everyone that has made their own 'bator successfully. I have a college degree, but I just don't GET electrical stuff! I am afraid I'll burn the house down if I try. [​IMG]

I have an LG bator, but I think I just may go and buy another LG... My hat is off to people that can figure out how to make their own 'bator! [​IMG]

Sorry for the rambling, and GOOD LUCK!

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    not last night but this morning,
    all bantams, I cant wait for this hatch !

6. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Quote:Buy a Brinsea Octogon 20 ECO for $129 instead, you don't need the turner as you can turn the eggs without opening the bator. I have mine and love it, it holds the temp very steady. Its a million times better than my LG. I don't quite understand electrical stuff either, and never seem to have the will to try.

7. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Quote:I've got some comets, silkies, austrolops, barnyards, and a few surprise "unknowns" in the mix...., can't wait to see what little heads rear out of these little shells! I have a total of 30 eggs in the bator and temps seem to be nice and steady at around 100 degrees everytime I've went to turn the "motorless" egg turner(Its an lg 6200 w/burned out motor, but they want like $26 bucks just for the replacement motor......, what a racket, I think the turner cost me about $36 bucks new a few years back)! Hope everyones hatches turn out wonderful...., including mine!

8. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Hi,

not on saturday but just put 44 silkie eggs in this evening. Can't wait.
    5 SQ Buffs, and 39 partridge, white and a few splash eggs (really hoping for them).. So I am with ya.
    I have 16 chicks from last hatch which is about 3 weeks old now. And one partridge chick that is a day old. And 3 hens sitting on partidge silkies and Dark Throat pheasant eggs. So all chickies should be hatching in the same week.. I can't wait. Every time a hen goes broody I by eggs put under them. I really got some nice chicks this last hatch. cj

9. tail_feather

tail_feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Not on sat, but Fri evening. 19 BBS from Tuffoldhen. 12 blac sex link mutts from my grandmother. [​IMG]

10. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    I put eggs under 2 hens and a goose, does that count?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by