Putting 2day old chicks in a lobster pen in the back of a truck!

biddybird

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Salado Texas
OMG, I love raising baby chicks,
smile.png
and my new hatch from May 23, was sold right away
thumbsup.gif
. Great! but when they showed up for 40 chicks they had a huge pen in the back of a truck to put them in.
ep.gif

First off the wire was 2x2 or so, second the wind in the back of the truck!! They would have probably blown out if not died from the wind. I hope I wasn't wrong but no way was I letting them have them in that pen. I was delivering at a meeting place so I told them I would go find a box. I went back to my office and found one then I coached them on what they must do to keep the babies alive.
old.gif
After talking to them I think they are just new at it
jumpy.gif
and seem to know they needed a light and a safe brooding type pen. They descibed everything and actually told me they have 3 Easter chicks at home. So I guess they kept them alive.
D.gif

I love hatching chicks but I would like to have paper work on the adopters and background checks, etc.
caf.gif
I've got 93 set to hatch this weekend and I hope the buyers make me feel a little less like I'm sending them to the wolves. I hope this is not going to be everytime!! From now on I'm going to bring boxes with torn paper in them, at least I know they are leaving me OK.
I am still worried about them.
hu.gif

Last edited:
I once had a very nice lady show up to buy my CM roo (the size of a small pony) with a cat carrier. Sure he fit, but we had a heck of a time getting him in the leeeetly teeeeny hole.

I feel your pain.

It's hard sometimes. Tonya (Tazcat70) has had to lead me away more than once at the poultry auction when I saw how some birds I had sold were being handled.......and I don't even consider my chickens pets. I think she was afraid if she didn't get me away she might have to come bail me out!!
lau.gif

It's a good thing you were able to get a box for them and that you do care enough to make sure they at least leave you secured and safe! I know what you mean though. I don't sell a lot of chicks but have had a couple times where I've honestly regretted selling them and it still bothers me.
hit.gif

Last fall I sold some chicks to some folks looking to start up a flock. We had several communications on specifics of what they needed right away (brooder, heat, feed type, etc) and how much coop space they would need. The people we SO excited. when they came to pick them up they were really nice and we showed them our setup and gave them some additional pointers. They picked their chicks (about a week old by then) and were on their way. Well, two days later I got an email from her asking if we had any more chicks she could buy b/c they had put all the chicks OUTSIDE in some makeshift pen that was in no way secure and their dog ended up getting to all the chicks.
hit.gif
hit.gif
At that point I actually didn't have any left to sell but honestly would not have sold them more b/c I felt they did not do what they should have to protect the chicks and give them a chance at growing up.

then just a couple weeks ago a neighbor asked if we would sell him our group of 5 free rangers (two BR hens and three EE/Buckeye cross roo's) so he could have some eggs and possibly have me hatch some eggs later in the summer. He has a small store down the road and also thought the customers would like to see the chickens. They were all very friendly, even the Roo's! My 2YO could pick up any of them and walk around the yard without being roughed up at all. no clue how they ended up so nice and their daddy was one mean Roo!! Anyway, we sold him the group and (at the time) were pretty sure they would like it there. He has had chickens before and knows the care involved at least. Well, couple weeks go by and we happened to be driving by so we stopped to see how everyone was getting along and found them all gone! Come to find out, one of the Roo's was attacked by his dog, he ended up giving that one to another neighbor who just happens to be my DD school nurse (and a friend of ours too). The nurse tried to save him but could not and he passed. Well, then (according to the guy) she came back and said she had 'chicken fever' and wanted to buy the other four remaining ones (2 BR and 2 roo's) for her farm. I felt horrible b/c I feel like she thinks I'm not a responsible seller and felt the need to buy them off on him just to save the birds.
hide.gif
She knows that if she wanted any birds I would have given her some (no charge) b/c I have told her if she ever does want any just to let me know and I'll get her setup.

Sorry to get all rambling, as you might be able to tell this has really been weighing on me lately! so, biddybird, just to let you know, you are not alone and yeah, i think i may start doing background checks too!

I'm glad to hear it is not just me! The feed store told me a similar story on some baby chicks, the lady bought 5, came back the next day and said she didn't realize her cat would get in the box they were brooding in,DUH!!
ep.gif
you know the rest.
Sorry about your free rangers, I don't think you should take it personal, she probably really decided she wanted some after doctoring the roo and realized that the guy wasn't taking good care of them, maybe didn't really want them, and made good with the situation. You sould like me, I make something personal out of anything. My very good friend pointed that out to me a couple of years ago and I have been really trying to work on it.
I have raised show pigs for years and just gave it up, the main reason being that I hated selling them. No matter what price I sold them for they never had the care we gave our show pigs. It hurt my heart to see one of my babies not fed good or in a horrible pen. I took it personal everytime one of them didn't turn out. Well if its not fed and housed what do you expect?
idunno.gif
But would I say that--hardley ever.
duc.gif
I know most were not as serious as we were but I wanted them to be.
I can only sell my little chicks because I get so attached if I keep them anytime at all. My DH bought me a 1502, he was tired of me hearing me complain about the humidity and temp not stabilizing, and I thought since I love hatching and have such a beautiful flock, why not sell some to help pay for it. I stress over having everything right for my babies(class A personality) and I know there are alot of people who raise chickens much easier without the dust in the house and stress making sure they always have feed/water and a light and they probably live just fine.
The lobster girl did call me this morning and said they were all just fine, so hopefully my coaching helped.
old.gif
I really think she just didn't know what was necessary. The rest of the hatch I sold to an older man who I feel perfectly great with. He picked up and cuddled several of the babies and told me he spent the morning re-doing an old green house for them. He was really proud that he rigged a light that he could move up as they got older. Made me feel better about the whole deal.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom