Eating wood chips

ckeene1990

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2024
I have week old baby chicks, I noticed them pecking and possibly eating their wood chips, I changed to paper towels for a week. I just put large shavings from tractor supply back in, and the go right back to pecking at the small pieces. I can’t tell if they are eating it or not, not sure what to do.

I have week old baby chicks, I noticed them pecking and possibly eating their wood chips, I changed to paper towels for a week. I just put large shavings from tractor supply back in, and the go right back to pecking at the small pieces. I can’t tell if they are eating it or not, not sure what to do.
It's normal for baby and even older chickens to peck at and sometimes eat small pieces of things on the ground.

That’s the thing, they eat really well from their food, no trouble there at all.
I wouldn't worry about it then. In general, chickens are fairly good at avoiding things they shouldn't eat or amounts of food that aren't good for them.

As previously mentioned you could give them some sand in a small plate for them to eat as grit.

Make sure you are offering chick grit........
x2. Chicks will pick up anything that fits in their mouths and try eating it as they learn what's food and what's not. As long as they aren't gorging on the wood if they have access to appropriate size grit they should be fine.

grit2.png

I just graduated mine to shavings yesterday. They started picking up chips to taste, but mainly just flung them around. So, I sprinkled some of their feed where they could see it, and they attacked that. In a few minutes, they had lost interest in the chips.

Back
Top Bottom