1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting 3 week olds with 1 week olds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Teresaann24, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have too many seperate brooders and needing to cut down on lack of space. I put my 3 week old silkie chicks with my 1 week old silkie chicks and they seem to be getting along fine. Anyone eles done this and how was the out come?

2. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Ive done it and mine did just fine. Took them about 2 days to figure out the pecking order.

Mine were a little older though. The youngest 4 were 3 weeks and I put them with 2 - 4 wk, 1 - 5 wk and 1 - 6 wk old chick.

Worked out great. [​IMG]

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    good to know things went ok! They seem to be doing fine the 3 week olds seem to be scared of the 1 week olds..LOL Which is quite funny to watch them run from these tiny 1 week old chicks...LOL

4. meadowsong

meadowsong Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    My chicks are 2 weeks and 1 week old, this AM one of my 1 week old chicks appeared to have been suffocated by the bigger birds [​IMG] At least that is my best bet, since I checked on them and then 2 hours later one was missing and was found under a pile of big black beefy birds. They did get along just fine, but size was the issue here. Something to consider.

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Thanks for the advice. I have 4-1 weekd olds and only 2- 3 week olds so I hope that wont be a problem.

6. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Add a couple of feather dusters so the little ones can escape the bigger ones. I bungeed one to the side of the brooder and they all love it! it gives the little ones a place to hide when the big ones are *picking*.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by