Putting 4 day old chicks under broody

themenagerie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
I have a broody hen that has been sitting for about 4 weeks. The first week I did not separate her and all her eggs got broken from the other hens climbing in/out. The second set I gave her eight eggs and put her in her own enclosure. She still managed to break all but one which should have hatched two days ago, but has not. I purchased six chicks at Agway today with the intention of putting them under her tonight. I know it's a gamble as to whether or not she accepts them but do chicks ever not accept the hen? I'm worried since they've been on their own a few days with tons of other chicks they won't know that she's their new mama and won't know to crawl under her to keep warm.
Thanks for your advice.

Update so far - I put the chicks under "Little Miss Broody" tonight around 10 when I got home from work. She didn't seem to mind them, actually started making little trilling noises. I could not locate the last egg, I think that one probably was broken and eaten as well. I'm hoping all six little peepers will be doing well in the am. I'll feel terrible if they aren't.

Hopefully she will accept them, I have had broodies that have taken 6 day old chicks, must be mind boggling for a hen to go to sleep with 2 or 3 chicks and wake up with 15 or so, but she took care of them without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom