putting 6 week old chicks in the coop

dreasmom2003

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2015
Springfield, OR
I just put my four 6 week old chicks out in their coop and I don't think they like it. I had to put them in the coop when it got dark yesterday and then they just chirped for a long time. Is it to soon to put them out there or is there something else I need to do. I did see them eating in the coop but haven't seen them drinking any water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as they are my first experience with chickens.

6 weeks sounds plenty old enought to me.

As long as you didn't change to some new watering system they haven't figured out--they will drink when they are thirsty.

I just put my four 6 week old chicks out in their coop and I don't think they like it. I had to put them in the coop when it got dark yesterday and then they just chirped for a long time. Is it to soon to put them out there or is there something else I need to do. I did see them eating in the coop but haven't seen them drinking any water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as they are my first experience with chickens.
I put my chicks out in the coop with a heat lamp at about 5 weeks old and they did just fine. The chicks are at 6 weeks now and I will start to let them out of the coop during the day. Just make sure they aren't too cold depending on the weather. If they haven't feathered out completely that could be the case. More than likely they are just getting used to the new place and they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom