Putting 7 week old chicks in coop-please help!

gabz44

Chirping
Dec 26, 2015
Hi :)
I am a new chicken owner , live outside of Los Angeles, and have (6) 7 week old chicks (silkies, Easter Egger, and buff Orphington) it's been very cool where I am lately- high 50s/60s during the day and low 30s in the middle of the night and early morning. Is it safe for my chickens to be moved in the coop? Do you suggest a heat lamp? One in the coop? Or coop and run?
Please tell me your thoughts... I also don't know if I am supposed to close off the run at the beginning..?
Ps I am starting to wean them of the heat lamp in my house. Have been doing no lamp during the day and just at night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think that they are just the right age! You should pick a day that they are going to "move in" and put them in there that night. This way they are able to go right to sleep and check it out in the morning. Be sure to check on them as often as possible and then slowly stop checking on them so much until you only go out there when you want to. I hope this helps!
Sincerely,
Abster2

If I were you I would let them into the coop around the time that it starts getting dark and just let them do what they will end up doing all the time. In other words, start a routine. You can leave the run open for them.

Sincerely,
Abster2

Back
Top Bottom