Putting 8 week old chickens with older flock of chickens

Mattsiewrt94

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013

This is my current flock and I'm getting chickens that are about 8 weeks old amercauna I've always wanted one of them before lol and I got 2 roosters so I do need to get more anyway haha but could it be done I don't want to get them and they die I know that happens because it has happened even when I got older chickens but are they to young to introduce to my chicken flock??

Hi there,
Personally, I would not introduce hens any younger than 12 weeks to older birds. Even then, I would put them in a cage/compound of some sort so that they can all eyeball each other for at least a week. Good luck with it, Sue

I introduced 8 week-olds to my flock at the beginning of last year and it was good. Later in the year I hatched out chicks and I introduced them as well at 6 weeks old.

At 6-8 weeks, they are big enough not to be killed when your hens peck at them (and they WILL peck at them to establish order), but also small enough where they do not try to fight back (which would result in injuries to them). In my opinion, 6-8 weeks is the PERFECT window to introduce chicks to an existing flock.

ETA: I also only coop up at night, so in the day they have more than a quarter-acre to run around on. There is always ample space so there is very little, if any, fighting over stuff. If your birds are cooped up most of the time or are in a small yard area, then you might be inviting disaster.

Last edited:
Well I was gonna keep them in the coop for a week my flock free ranges all day long so if they feel overwhelmed they can escape anywhere awe have all fields arounds us and our big yard lol

Well I was gonna keep them in the coop for a week my flock free ranges all day long so if they feel overwhelmed they can escape anywhere awe have all fields arounds us and our big yard lol
You can put them in the coop with the others safely by putting them inside a dog crate/carrier at night so they don't get pecked. This way you don't have to have a separate coop for them. During the day I recommend you keep them in a separate fenced in area with shelter from elements and food/water. :)

Back
Top Bottom