Putting a chicken coop together on a surface that's slightly sloped.

Chicken_Legend

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
Hi. I bought a coop and it comes in pieces. Thinking of putting it together this weekend but need some advice. My backyard has a slight slope and if I am going to put the coop together, I would need it to level it. What is the best method to have coop leveled?

a level foundation.
a line level , four foot level, a torpedo level and my world is strait and true.

1)drive stakes, pull strings, use line level to set bricks. set coop on bricks

2) set coop on ground, put four foot level on coop floor, jack ends of coop to level and caulk coop ends.
3) post hole dig and set 4x4 with a level. rap 4x4 with 2x6 using 4 foot level. sit coop on 2x6 foundation.
4) cinder block chain wall on the low end and back fill.
endless possibilities really.
I would do 4x4 and also have the option of setting more poles for an attached fence run.

Where are you located?

If you have a strong freeze-thaw cycle you'll want to either use posts or lay a block foundation that sits deep enough to not be subject to frost heave.

If your climate is warm and wet with lots of termites, carpenter ants, and other wood-destructive organisms you'll definitely need to use either block, brick, or treated wood that's rated for ground contact.

Another option to the list @David61 made is to lay a foundation of landscape timbers and fasten the coop on top of them.

Whatever you choose, you need to either dig in on the high end or build up on the low end so that the coop will be level. But while you're doing that work you can rejoice in the knowledge that putting the coop on a slope will mean good drainage and no mud -- as long as you're not straddling a runoff channel. :)

@3KillerBs I've searched here but unable to find specific as to the importance of a level coop/run...

Is there a reason that it needs or must be level? Does it cuz bumble leg or something if not level?
The level surface is for proper placement of a coop that was prefabricated to be placed on a level surface, not necessarily for the chickens benefit. If the building isn't level, doors don't work, undue load is placed on random points, gap exist where they shouldn't, etc.

The level surface is for proper placement of a coop that was prefabricated to be placed on a level surface, not necessarily for the chickens benefit. If the building isn't level, doors don't work, undue load is placed on random points, gap exist where they shouldn't, etc.
Ok...my husband (gotta luv him ain't leaving him LOL) is determined this structure he finally suggested and agreed to does not have to be level!
I know it isn't suggested to start up old threads, but idk cuz I wanted to also show I am searching hi n low for the info before starting new threads.
This is the structure we are going to use...it will have tarps covering entire structure not just one section.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-142126.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-142126.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 6
@3KillerBs I've searched here but unable to find specific as to the importance of a level coop/run...

Is there a reason that it needs or must be level? Does it cuz bumble leg or something if not level?

Because everything on the floor will roll downhill, because doors and windows won't operate, and because the load on the roof will not be supported evenly, possibly leading to the support buckling in an extreme case.

We have a crooked shed because the idiot shed movers used the wrong kind of blocks -- which broke under the weight. We can't open one leaf of the door, latch the side we can open, or move the window up or down from it's partially-open condition. We're hoping that no permanent damage is done before we can have it moved again and placed correctly in a new location.

Ok...my husband (gotta luv him ain't leaving him LOL) is determined this structure he finally suggested and agreed to does not have to be level!
I know it isn't suggested to start up old threads, but idk cuz I wanted to also show I am searching hi n low for the info before starting new threads.
This is the structure we are going to use...it will have tarps covering entire structure not just one section.

Be sure to anchor that very securely to the ground. Tarps catch the wind and become sails. The wind can do some serious damage throwing things around.

Be sure to anchor that very securely to the ground. Tarps catch the wind and become sails. The wind can do some serious damage throwing things around.
Will do! I have 10" galvanized metal garden stakes (looks like a large staple) to use in the hardware cloth that will be surrounding the base and attached to the structure itself.
That work?

Back
Top Bottom