Putting all of my chicks together!

laurie123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Hi! I am the proud new owner of 14 chicks! The first batch of eight are about 5 weeks old and the second batch of six are about 3 weeks old. The older batch have been outside in their new home for almost a week and are doing great. Will I have problems when it comes time to introduce the younger group to the others? Or are they close enough in age that it will not matter? Their house is roomy and we are still building the outside run. Thanks for any suggestions. I also am not sure what they are, can anyone tell me? I got them all as mixed pullets from TSC, except for the two straight run Brahmas. When will I know if my Brahmas are hens or roos? Thanks!

WelcometoBYC.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC from NY State!
frow.gif

When you get ready to introduce the little ones to the big ones, I'd let them go together immediately. But keep a close eye on them and if there seems to be any problems like picking or excessive meanness, separate them. Let them still see each other though, so maybe separate them with a length of chicken wire.

You should be able to tell male/female somewhere around 7-10 weeks. Brahmas tend to be a little harder to tell sometimes, since they are a slow maturing bird. But when they reach that age post pictures in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" section.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your input! I appreciate it! I will post more pictures as everyone grows!

Back
Top Bottom