Putting babies underneath the hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shastagoose, May 16, 2009.

1. shastagoose

shastagoose Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Is it safe to put new babies under a laying hen? Would they accept them? or kill them?

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Depends on the hen. If she is a good broody she will take them and raise them for you. Some will peck/kill chicks. I'd just stick them under the one you want to and hang out to see. If you do it at night like most suggest then be there when everyone hops up out of the nest to make sure she is accepting them.

I stick incubated chicks under my broody when they hatch.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Your hen has to be broody at the time. A hen who isn't expecting... will peck at the chick and pounce on it... killing it.

I have a broody that's been sitting on blanks for almost 3 weeks. I hatched out 10 peeps in the bator yesterday and Thur and am planning the transition tonight. ...right now [​IMG] I will swap out the chicks with the eggs... they naturally know to crawl under momma. I have cochins and rosecombs.. both are excellent mommas and have excepted chicks before. I hang out a bit and wait for everyone to get settled in then let them go.

My rosecomb will take new chicks out in the yard for up to 4 o 5 days after hers hatch... It's funny to see. A peep will call for mom.. even if it didn't hatch under one. When you put it outside, all the chickens come running to see what's going on. If there is a "ripe" broody (one who's been sitting for a while or has just hatched peeps) it will probably run over and except it right there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by