1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting baby chick back with momma hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rudkin, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Rudkin

Rudkin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    We had four eggs hatch and our broody hen abandoned a baby. We brought it in and then brought in another chick to keep it company. Not sure the abandoned one is gonna make it. Can the other baby be put back in the coop with momma hen after a day?

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    yes, if you're going to do that, do it at night. But what is wrong with the sick one?

3. Rudkin

Feb 14, 2013
    The sick o e didn't make it . I think there was domething wrong with it. Everytime we git it to perk up it would go downhill again. The momma gen abandoned the other two babies. We thought they were dead they were so cold and suddenly we saw movement. They got some tlc and are doing fine now.

4. DivaExMachina

DivaExMachina Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2013
    Sorry to hear about that. I had a similar situation myself a while back but with only one survivor. It's not fun.

Good luck with your little babies.

5. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    That's too bad. We've only had a hen abandon her baby one time, in all our broodies. She just had one chick and she acted terrified of her. We named the chick Lil Orphan Annie and got her some new siblings at the feed mill, and all four chicks were adopted by our peahen, Sweetpea. So it turned out well after all. [​IMG]

6. Rudkin

Feb 14, 2013
    Awe! That's great. You got lucky. Our three are still doing good.my mom is going to spoil them rotten!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by