Putting Bator eggs under a BROODY

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherylcohen, May 13, 2010.

1. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Nifty is egg-sitting my incubator eggs while I've been away on a family emergency. My fiance's sister passed yesterday and we get to come home tomorrow.

Coincidentally, a blessing, Nifty's hen has gone broody and it's been about 3 days but she seems real committed.

The question is , my eggs are in lockdown and due to hatch on Saturday. Can we slip a few eggs under Nifty's broody even though they are hatching so soon? Will the hen be satisfied with her broody adventure when the chicks hatch and take care of them?

Thanks for all your help....it's been a tough week

2. vatterpa

vatterpa Songster

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    [​IMG] Sorry about the passing. [​IMG] I would think so, but then agin I'm new.

3. obxWaMi

obxWaMi Songster

I read in another post that someone put already hatched cornish x chicks under a broody BO in the middle of the night and she took to raising them just fine. I don't know how long that hen had been sitting on eggs that would have never hatched, but the story was quite sweet. If I find that post again I will let you know. Good luck with your chicks and I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

4. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    yes I remember reading that, but my concern is that this broody has only been broody for a few days.....

5. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Can anyone else tell me what you think?

6. k2chickens

k2chickens Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:Sorry for you loss. Thats a tough situation tho, if your broody is only on day three and you then put far along bator egg's under her then once the late one's hatch she may abandon her original clutch she is sitting on now. I would vote to keep the egg's in the bator if i was you.

7. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    No that's not the situation sorry I'm not so clear

my eggs are hatching starting saturday. My friend, Nifty (who has been taking care of my eggs) has a broody that is into her 3rd day but is not sitting on any viable eggs. I'd really like to 'gift' them some eggs.

We want to take them out and put these viable hatching eggs under her.

My question is whether the hen will be satisfied enough with being broody for only 3 days and will take care of the new hatchlings?

Last edited: May 13, 2010

8. k2chickens

k2chickens Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    oh i get it now. Hmm i dunno, if the chicks are very important to you then i say keep them in the bator, if the chicks are just for fun then i say slide them under her [​IMG]

9. Hi Cheryl! Sorry for your loss.
    It really depends on the individual hen. I think she'd be more likely to 'mother' the chicks IF she's raised chicks before.
    Hens can't count and when she hears the eggs tapping in the shell, instinct will probably kick in and she'll be just fine with them.
    I'd keep the incubator warmed up just in case she doesn't act right.

Good luck eggsitting, Nifty.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

10. cherylcohen

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Well there are 37 eggs in the two bators and I would for rob and Emily to have some new babies. I guess we can give it a try

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by