Putting Bletch in Chickens water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Iloveourbabychick, Jan 18, 2009.

  1. Iloveourbabychick

    Iloveourbabychick Out Of The Brooder

    62
    0
    39
    Jun 29, 2008
    Hickory,NC
    I'm worried about my fathers chickens.He heard some where that putting a cap full of bletch into the chickens water will get rid of parasites and mites....I dont thing hes very right in the head...Hes gonna do it and im affraid for his chickens..Is this right to do or what?
    Thanks
     
  2. Tony K T

    Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

    4,148
    118
    274
    Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I've heard of that for your incubator,but I wouldn't let the birds drink bleach.Better try ivomectin or wazine,piperzine.Bleach just doesn't sound right.
    In N.H.,Tony.
     
  3. Katy

    Katy Flock Mistress

    I wouldn't do it either, but I suppose if you just use a couple of drops it's no different than the clorine they put into a town's drinking water.
     
  4. Akane

    Akane Overrun With Chickens

    4,654
    30
    251
    Jun 15, 2008
    Bletch? I guess we're assuming that's bleach. All it would do is chlorinate the water and kill things in the water not in the bird. Just like drinking chlorinated water doesn't really do anything for our health except keep the water cleaner. Chlorine isn't exactly healthy though and too much of it will cause problems. I'm actually glad to have nonchlorinated well water for myself and my animals and would never add bleach for them to drink. Try apple cider vinegar instead (not in a metal waterer). It has been shown to have lots of health benefits and is much safer than bleach.
     
  5. Jimmy

    Jimmy Out Of The Brooder

    15
    0
    32
    Apr 29, 2008
    I have heard of putting apple cider vinegar in the chickens water. What is it supposed to be good for and how much would you put in?
     
  6. Tony K T

    Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

    4,148
    118
    274
    Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    It helps to clean out their system.I think it is just a tablespoon.Cranberry juice is good for cleaning them out also.Just replace their water supply with it.
    In N.H.,Tony.
     
  7. the1much

    the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

    you can use bleach to clean,, and it is used to pour down ya well when theres problems,, but a cap ful?? no wayz,, when you do the math,, it comes out to like a teaspoon for something like 5 gallons,, man thats gotta burn..
     
  8. WalkingWolf

    WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I don't have the site handy but department of agriculture lists the use of unscented bleach. One ounce of ultra bleach added to one gallon of water for stock solution. And then once ounce of stock solution to one gallon of drinking water. Will not kill parasites in the birds but will kill bacteria in the water.
     
  9. cmom

    cmom Hilltop Farm

    16,261
    769
    406
    Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used to use a very small amount in my 20 gal water tank when I had it to kill any bacteria in the tank.
     
  10. Turkens-r-Cute

    Turkens-r-Cute Out Of The Brooder

    25
    0
    22
    Aug 16, 2008
    Oklahoma
    i have put bleach in my chickens water for almost a year and it has helped them alot. It clears up any runny noses or parasite problems. it also kills any mosquitos that are trying to breed in the water. i put a little under a cap ful in a 5 gallon waterer, and little under half a cap in 1-2 gallons and if its a 3-4 gallons then half a cap. it really does work. and nothing has happened to them. and the person i found it out from is from arkansas and he has a big chicken farm with over 200 birds and he was told by a vet to put bleach in the water to avoid any diseases or parasites. so i dont think anything bad will happen to the chickens as long as you dont over do it.

    chickens~galore
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by